Help Buying an active sponge filter from Angels Plus ?

TimeHalt

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Hi all,
From someone on this forum I discovered Angels Plus and their seeded sponge filters that they sell online. I ordered one to speed up the cycling of my first tank, a 10 gallon freshwater. It is coming tomorrow. I am doing a fishless cycle and dosed my water to around 3 ppm. It's about 5 days into the cycle and my ammonia has not gone down yet. The guy who runs Angels Plus is not an advocate for fishless cycles but I am getting a pea puffer and I don't want to cycle with one since they are sensitive. I plan on taking the sponge from the active sponge filter and using it as a pre-filter sponge (or maybe just use it as filter media).
My question is, if the seeded sponge very quickly cycles my tank then is it ok if I keep adding ammonia (whenever it hits 0 ppm) for around a week to make sure that it truly is cycled? I don't want to add my puffer until I am sure that my tank is cycled. Will me dosing the tank every day be enough to keep the BB alive? I also may add some snails to get a population going before adding the puffer.
Extra info: adding moss balls and one anubias barteri next week to the tank, no other live plants in it. 7.6 pH and I am using Fritz Ammonium Chloride to dose the tank with ammonia.

FinalFins

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
If you add a seeded sponge, the bacteria will still need to grow to accommodate whatever dosage you are keeping it up at.

Ask the seller how he cycled the sponges so you can get a rough estimate how much BB is on one of the sponges. Also ask how many filters are run on the tank that the sponge is taken from and if it is one of many pieces of sponge or that sponge is the only filter media in the filter.

All of that can give a rough estimate on how much BB is truely on it.

Also if ammonia doesnt drop after 5 days, don't worry. Cycles can take up to 2 months and patience is key to fishkeeping :)

mattgirl

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Closer to Heaven every day but for now-Arkansas
Experience
More than 10 years
Yes, continue adding ammonia each time it drops down to zero. Since you plan only one fish in this tank 2ppm ammonia should be plenty. That amount should grow enough bacteria to handle the bio-load of your little puffer. If the ammonia goes down to zero within 24 hours after adding it each day for a week you will know there is enough bacteria.

I feel sure the instructions that will come with the seeded sponge will tell you not to toss the grungy water in the bag with the sponge. It will have bacteria in it so you might want to pour it directly into your HOB. By pouring it in there instead of straight into the tank it might prevent the tank water looking dirty for a little while. Even if you pour it directly into the tank it should clear up fairly quick.

Personally I would run the sponge filter you receive as a true sponge filter to begin with if at all possible. It just seems to me it will work best that way but either way I would follow their directions to a tee. They have been doing this for a long time and should know the best way of using their product.

LanceDog

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I have bought from Angels plus. My tanks got cycled in about a week. Keep doing your thing with the fishless cycle (adding ammonia, etc) and testing until you get see your 0 amm/0 nitri/whatever nitrate.

The sponges are HUGE! so for your ten gallon, if you got a small size, you should have no problem. I use the small on my 20 gals.

OP
TimeHalt

TimeHalt

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
LanceDog said:
I have bought from Angels plus. My tanks got cycled in about a week. Keep doing your thing with the fishless cycle (adding ammonia, etc) and testing until you get see your 0 amm/0 nitri/whatever nitrate.

The sponges are HUGE! so for your ten gallon, if you got a small size, you should have no problem. I use the small on my 20 gals.
Thanks for the info. Actually on the website the guy says 5 gallons or less should get small, anything else should get a large. So I ordered a large. Of course, I can cut it down if needed.

mattgirl said:
Yes, continue adding ammonia each time it drops down to zero. Since you plan only one fish in this tank 2ppm ammonia should be plenty. That amount should grow enough bacteria to handle the bio-load of your little puffer. If the ammonia goes down to zero within 24 hours after adding it each day for a week you will know there is enough bacteria.

I feel sure the instructions that will come with the seeded sponge will tell you not to toss the grungy water in the bag with the sponge. It will have bacteria in it so you might want to pour it directly into your HOB. By pouring it in there instead of straight into the tank it might prevent the tank water looking dirty for a little while. Even if you pour it directly into the tank it should clear up fairly quick.

Personally I would run the sponge filter you receive as a true sponge filter to begin with if at all possible. It just seems to me it will work best that way but either way I would follow their directions to a tee. They have been doing this for a long time and should know the best way of using their product.
Thanks. Honestly I am not sure if I want one puffer or two, I have plenty of decor and I would love to have two but I also want to be safe. And someone recommended to use the sponge as a pre-filter sponge. I was going to just use it as a sponge filter but I don't have an air pump or anything and I have already spent a lot more on this tank than I planned on. I would think it should work fine as a pre-filter sponge, even if it's slower.

mattgirl

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Closer to Heaven every day but for now-Arkansas
Experience
More than 10 years
TimeHalt said:
Thanks. Honestly I am not sure if I want one puffer or two, I have plenty of decor and I would love to have two but I also want to be safe. And someone recommended to use the sponge as a pre-filter sponge. I was going to just use it as a sponge filter but I don't have an air pump or anything and I have already spent a lot more on this tank than I planned on. I would think it should work fine as a pre-filter sponge, even if it's slower.
Even if you decide to have 2 little guys 2ppm ammonia should grow enough bacteria. As long as water is being pulled through the sponge it should do a good job so using it as a pre-filter should work well.

DuaneV

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Not an advocate for a fishless cycle? Ive never heard of such a thing, lol. I mean, Ive done my fair share of fish-in cycles, but fishless cycles are BY FAR the easiest and safest way to cycle a tank. And you know EXACTLY what its cycled to, unlike using cycled media. Youre buying "cycled media" but have no idea what its cycled to so you dont know what you can add to the tank safely.

LanceDog

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
TimeHalt said:
Thanks for the info. Actually on the website the guy says 5 gallons or less should get small, anything else should get a large. So I ordered a large. Of course, I can cut it down if needed.
One sponge was going to be for a 3 gal. It wouldn't even fit. I cut it down and stuffed it in the HOB. I really like the design of their sponge's and the size is worth the money. I'd love to know the dimensions of the large when it comes in.

New Threads