Buying A Tank?

1. F

Freshwaterfish101 New Member Member

Hiiiii, I want to buy 20ish gallon tank to keep various cichlids in. Anybody got any suggestions on good suppliers? :)

2. endlercollector

endlercollector Fishlore VIP Member

I wouldn't put cichlids in a tank that small. They're already so aggressive, they'd go bonkers :0

3. OP
    OP
    F

Even the smaller African breed? what tank size would you recommend?

4. JeffK

JeffK Well Known Member Member

5. BuddyD

BuddyD Valued Member Member

Petco still has their sale going and they have the 40 gal breeder.

6. JLeeM

JLeeM Well Known Member Member

^^^^^What he said.^^^^^^^ However, the 40B is not $1 per gallon. They are half price though, which is $50. Still not a bad deal. I got one on this sale myself.

7. endlercollector

endlercollector Fishlore VIP Member

You could fit perhaps 1 pair in a 20 long. What is the pH of your water? There are some South American dwarf cichlids that are less aggressive, but the water has to be soft and the tank should be well established.

8. JeffK

JeffK Well Known Member Member

What fish are you considering?

9. OP
    OP
    F

Unfortunately my PH is really high, usually ranging from 8.2 to 8.4.

Well I'm focusing on African Cichlids so they can cope with my high PH, I was also considering getting a bottom feeder.

10. JesseMoreira06

JesseMoreira06 Well Known Member Member

To small , youll need a 40B at the bare minimum for African cichlids , 55g being better for the 48" lenght it has.

In a 20g you can do a pair of rams with a group of dithers and a group of bottom feeders. something like this

1 Dwarf Gourami
    2 Bolivian Rams
    8 Harlequin Rasbora
    8 Panda or Peperred Corys

11. OP
    OP
    F

T
    Thanks but I can't keep most of those because of my very high PH- 8.4.

12. n

nedpatrick Well Known Member Member

Lol wanna talk about high mines 8.7! However I never have had a problem with any fish and all of my fish are soft water fish. Captive bred fish will adapt to ph levels so I wouldn't worry too much about fish choice or ph unless you are dealing with a wild caught fish.

13. Philosoraptor

Philosoraptor New Member Member

Do Brevis Shell Dwellers!!!

14. i

ilovefishys17 Valued Member Member

Hi, they can go in a 20 , I don't know why they couldn't. I know that 12 to 14 that get between 4 to 7 inches can live in a 29 gallon. Also if your tank is understocked there will be aggression, were if it's fullystocked, and there's no room for each of them to have a territory. There will be no agression.