Buying a new tank.

Kepler452b

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Hello,

I'm in the market for a new tank. I want to get a larger tank... I was thinking over 50 gallons at least, preferably more but I don't have a huge amount of space, actually planning on moving my current fish and plants to this tank. Iv kept fish for years but haven't purchased any new equipment in awhile. Just been maintaining. I actually never purchased a tank myself, they were always gifts or yardsale finds from family.

I have several 20 and 10 gallons. I looked around at aquariums last time I was in petsmart, I noticed most of them had led lights...they don't include stands etc. A main concern for me is growing live plants... I have CFLs in my 10 gallons which has let me grow many plants very well. My 20 gallons has florescent lighting but it's pretty standard so the depth means growing plants is ok, but not as easy. I'm concerned that all these led lighting kits will be almost useless for plants but I also need a good enclosed hood as I have cats and need a stand. Any suggestions? I live in central Florida, Iv been trying to keep an eye out on craigslist etc. but haven't really seen anything yet. Budget wise I would prefer a deal but at the same time I don't want junk so I'm willing to splurge if necessary. Since Iv never actually had a new tank I thought it might be nice for a change to buy a new tank with stand.

Any suggestions on lighting larger tanks? I used to know allot more about lighting and everything but I feel like I haven't kept up and forgotten everything. ha ha Anyone know of any good deals going on? Feel free to message me or something if you hear of a good deal in the area! Iv been wanting to get a larger tank for awhile but struggling with what to buy. I work so much that shopping around is hard.

Cheers.

TexasDomer

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Petco and Petsmart have a $1 per gallon sale going on, but it only lasts until tomorrow (at least in my area). The largest they have is a 55 gal, but that fits your requirements.

I'd stay away from a kit type deal. Usually the included equipment is lower quality and you'll likely end up replacing it in the next few months/years. It's cheaper to buy good equipment now.

There are many stands available for 55 gals, or you could always build your own from plywood!

You can buy LEDs that are ideal for growing plants. Look at Finnex Planted + for an example of a high quality LED fixture ideal for plants. You can shop around and find good deals, especially if you aren't in a huge hurry!

I have a glass versa top for my 55 gal, and I prefer that to the hood I have on my 10 gal. The top is hinged, and you can easily put a light on top of it for lighting. Much better than a hood, in my opinion.

Kepler452b

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Thanks for your reply.

Well, I guess I'll see if the sale is available thru online? Or I'll have to wait... I don't mind buying pieces separately but I need to know things like ie. I can actually get a decent stand, sturdy decent hood/lighting for plants/unsupervised cats etc. I work tomorrow and I can't really drive today (vertigo).

I couldn't find any stands when I was looking in store but maybe I'll look online for some pick up in store options or something. Due to time and skill (or lack there of) I would not feel comfortable building my own. All mine are metal and if I got one that had to be put together I would probably ask my dad to do it. haha

I had a glass top that was hinged on my ten gallon with a hood on top. One day I had the hood/ lights off when I was working on the tank but the glass top was there. My cat jumped on the glass top and cracked it. Broke the glass. Glass tops scare me now. :/

TanksbyTim

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Your best bet for a cheap tank in perfect condition would be to check out Petco or Petsmart during their $1/gallon sale. The sale includes 55 gallon tanks. A 55 gallon tank stand can be easily found online (usually assembly of these stands, if not already assembled, is very easy). You could also build a stand as another member mentioned. Building a stand would be a much cheaper option if your dad would be willing to help you build it. I personally recommend Perfecto glass canopies. I have had a decent amount of weight on them and haven't had any issues. This will probably be as close to cat-proof as you're going to get. The best part about these canopies is that you can use clamp fixtures and CFL bulbs to light your tank. This is what I use for my tank. Good luck with your new tank!

Kepler452b

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
IDK why my reply disappeared when I was trying to edit it..must of hit delete...sigh.

Thanks, 55 gallon sounds like it will work well. If the glass top is strong and the cats won't mess with lighting then it sounds perfect to have more control over customizing it. I'll have to look into what lighting setups people have to get some ideas.

Does the sale run randomly or is there a pattern to it?

With my smaller tanks Iv always had metal stands, they seem sturdier to me somehow. What do you think of a metal stand for 55? Would wood be better?

Thanks again!

TanksbyTim

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I don't believe there is a pattern to the sale. The sale tends to run 1-3 times each year and lasts 1-2 months. I'm not sure if the sale is still running though.

Kepler452b

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Yeah, I was able to drop by pet smart and they didn't have it. They had a 50 gallon with hood for 160... rest were kits and sets. Petco was too out of the way to check. Ugh, sale prob won't be back running for awhile. Thanks.

bigdreams

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Btw, I just missed the previous sale, had to wait three months for next one. Similar situation, got a 55 gal and Finnex Planted 24/7 lights. I believe Pets Supplies Plus is having a gallon sale next month, are there any in your area?

Kepler452b

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Thanks. That stinks. Unfortuantly none in my area or my work area. I guess I can focus on getting everything else in the meantime... my filters are due for being replaced, lights, stand etc... and I'll just have to decide if I want to wait after that. (Probably not haha but we'll see)

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom