Buying A New 75 Gallon Seapora Tank , Worried It's Gonna Leak.

Discussion in 'Freshwater Aquarium Builds' started by TySabol, Apr 11, 2017.

1. TySabol

TySabol Valued Member Member

I'm upgrading my cichlid tank to a 75 in about two days and is their anything I can do to make sure it doesn't leak, like add another layer of silicone. Had a 29 gallons silicone give on me and that was the biggest mess of my life. Really not trying to do that with a 75 lol.

2. max h

max h Well Known Member Member

If the tank is used fill it outside and let it sit a couple of days, make sure it's supported on flat ground.

3. OP
    OP
    TySabol

It's not used just wanted to see if their was anything I could do to add more silicone or not

4. max h

max h Well Known Member Member

You can't add new silicon on top of cured silicon, it won't adhere.

5. AvalancheDave

AvalancheDave Well Known Member Member

I went with acrylic for all my tanks bigger than 10 gal. Acrylic is bonded by using a solvent to melt it together. If done properly, the joint is as strong as if it was a single piece. Most acrylic aquarium manufacturers have lifetime warranties because they almost never have to replace a tank.

The only tank I've had leak was a 10 gal glass.

The vast majority of floods were caused by me though.

6. OP
    OP
    TySabol

I wanted to go acrylic but the price for a 75 is insane compared to glass, the RMS next to me is offering a new 75, with led lights, glass canopies, and a stand all together for 300 as a special. Had to pick one up before they run out

7. fissh

fissh Well Known Member Member

Just make sure the tank is level and the surface it sits on is perfectly flat. Most glass tank that fail are because of an uneven surface, or a weak stand that bows. You even have to make sure the floor it's sitting on is flat and doesn't have any soft spots. The tank and stand full of water and d├ęcor will weigh around 750 to 800 pounds.

8. BluMan1914

BluMan1914 Well Known Member Member

Also, it's pretty rare that a new tank will leak. You would have some concern if the tank is old or used. Even very old tanks (25yrs or more) are still going strong with original silicone.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice