Buying a Betta?? Need advice!

1. BettaChuck

BettaChuck Valued Member Member

Okay, I really can't stop thinking about that poor pink Betta.I already have an extra decoration that Chuck doesn't need, I have extra gravel, I have a rock on which I am growing some moss, I am about to receive 5 small pots of Flame Moss(and they would not all fit in Chuck's tank).All I would need to buy is a tank and I think I could get a 3 gallon critter keeper(they are much cheaper) in which I would put Chuck and then I would put the new Betta in Chuck's old 2.25 gal.It would basically cost me about 13$ which I have. I also have TetraMedica General Tonic(against finrot, fungus, infection,it's broad spectrum) so I have what to treat him with for his injuries.I just can't stand the idea that he's going to die of a slow and painful death in that Guppy tank.So what do you think, could I do it? Is it a good idea? I def have the time for two Bettas.

2. LyndaB

LyndaB Fishlore Legend Member

He would need a cycled tank, filter and heater. So would Chuck.

Your heart's in the right place, but be sure you're not overextending yourself. That doesn't work for the fish or for you.

3. OP
    OP
    BettaChuck

I know *sigh*

4. LyndaB

Our motto with dog rescue is: "we can't save them all"

If you don't accept that, you crash and burn and die of guilt that shouldn't fall on your shoulders to begin with. What you CAN do is to provide the fish you already have with the very best life you're able.

5. OP
    OP
    BettaChuck

He really doesn't need a heater right now, but since I have this money, what kind of filter could I get him that would work in his 2.25 gal tank?

6. LyndaB

I have no experience with that small of a tank. I've never had anything under 10 gallons for bettas. Temperature needs to be consistent year-round, so it's always a good idea to keep a heater in the tank all the time.

7. OP
    OP
    BettaChuck

Oh okay, I'll just ask at the store.But once I'll add the filter will Chuck be in danger? I mean because of the Nitrogen Cycle

8. soltarianknight

soltarianknight Fishlore VIP Member

Bettas, you can get away without a cycle, basic needs are a heater, and a tank at least 2.5gals. To work with an uncycled tank you just perform 1-2 weekly 100% clean outs. Use prime inbetween. Always let the water heat back up before adding the betta back in, it works best bare bottom.

9. Gordinian

Gordinian Well Known Member Member

You could add some filter media from your cycled tank to your uncycled tank! That would speed things up.

10. Reefdweller

Reefdweller Well Known Member Member

I don't mean to get too far off topic here but while speaking of bettas... how can you sex them?

11. OP
    OP
    BettaChuck

I only have one tank right now...I am planning for a 16 gallon in the fall.Would it work if I wouldn't clean the substrate and only change 50% of the water? Wouldn't there be some beneficial bacteria on the substrate that hasn't been cleaned in almost two weeks?

12. OP
    OP
    BettaChuck

Males have long fins(except for plakats I guess) and their colours are a bit stronger, females have shorter fins and appear smaller.

13. soltarianknight

.......Long fins are males, shorter fins are females. They are a very easy to sex fish.

Males that i own/ed:
    [​IMG]
    HMPK Halfmoon Plakat, Plakat means shortfin(its a tail type, this is a male) you wont find these guys at walmart or petsmart, but you will find them labeled "dragon" or HMPK at Petsmartco.
    [​IMG]
    CT Crown tail, long finnage, male.
    Females:
    [​IMG]
    VT girl
    [​IMG]
    VT girl, she has some long fins but is a female.

Also check here
    http://watershed3.tripod.com/types.html

14. Reefdweller

Reefdweller Well Known Member Member

No see that first picture and the 3rd one down look the same size to me so I would have guessed them both female because their fins are short no? The picture on the bottom I would for sure say was a male because she has real flowing fins so no I am confused!

:;smack

15. soltarianknight

Its a subtle diffrence of body build. PKs are always throwing people for a loop. Look for the egg spot, a small white spot below the female belly between her ventrals. And yes the girl on the bottom...shes special lol. BUT you may encounter those long flowy female fins occasionally.

16. LyndaB

I'm sorry, but I must respectfully disagree with pretty much your entire post.

All fish need a cycled tank. If it is not cycled and there are fish in it, you should be doing daily water changes, not 1-2 times a week. Prime should be dosed at water changes, not as a safeguard against ammonia rising in an uncycled tank. There's no need for a bare bottom tank unless you are raising betta fry in it. You should match the temp when you fill the tank, not wait for the heater to bring it back up to temp. This puts additional stress on the fish while it hangs around in a tub. I would also highly recommend a minimum of 5 gallons per betta.

17. OP
    OP
    BettaChuck

@solitarianknight, some people may get away with unfiltered Betta tanks but it looks like I'm not one of them.Chuck had a mild case of finrot(he is going towards better) and now he has some white puffy stuff on a couple of his fins which makes me think he may have picked up a fungus.I thought he would be fine without a filter until fall but I was wrong :( So, I am buying him a filter on Friday. I am getting an internal one since I heard sponge and undergravel are not so great.Another reason for getting a filter is that Chuck really doesn't like being taken out of his tank once a week, he doesn't get extremely stressed but he sure isn't enjoying it either.

18. soltarianknight

With all due respect, its done by many professional keepers and breeders with no problem.

If its not your forte then a cycled and heated 5gal will suffice.