Buying a Beta Question

Discussion in 'Betta Fish' started by dahly, Mar 29, 2006.

1. dahlyValued MemberMember

I may be buying a male beta to go along with my 3 Emerald Cory's. When I go to various pet shops, they look terrible in their little containers. I will try to pick one up from a local breeder, but if I did go the pet shop route, besides torn or clamped fins, how do I pick a good one? I may just wind up not getting the beta, and rearrange my three tanks with the multi's in the 10, most of the others in the 20H, and the pleco and neons (until tubbin' time) in the 29 with some docile mbuna. Plans for the 75 set up are on hold for a while.

2. Butterfly

ButterflyModeratorModerator Member

When you set the cup next to another does it flare? Color? torn fins? swimming well?
    I love my females, and some of them get rather pretty fins also.
    Carol

3. chickadee

chickadeeFishlore VIPMember

I would follow Butterfly's advice. If they don't have the energy or fight left to flare, they are probably too sick to last long. Also they are probably pretty aged at the pet store. If you go the the breeder you can specify a young betta. I get mine no older than 4 months so I am sure that barring disease which I can watch and control, I may have another 2-3 years of good betta or more if I am lucky. I do love my males, but I have totally fallen in love with my new little female. She is a darling and 2 months old. She will eat out of my hands and totally knows me by now. I can tell she is going to be a real sweetheart where the males are more aloof. It totally depends on what you want in a little one.

Rose
    :D

4. poefoxWell Known MemberMember

The ladies are the real betta experts, but to share my own experience, the one I picked had a nice looking colour, seemed alert and responsive, and had nice looking fins. You can always get one from a breeder but mine is doing well.

Also, check out the thread I stared called "Territorial Betta". He could still respond with hostility to the corys at first and have to get used to them.

5. OP
    OP
    d

dahlyValued MemberMember

Any pictures of a female Beta with longer fins? Would a female be less aggressive?
    Thanks, Glenn

6. GunnieWell Known MemberMember

Females are not usually nearly as fancy as the males, but they can have just as pretty coloring. They don't seem to be as aggressive as the males, but there are always exceptions. My experience with the females is that they are much more active than the males at least in a community tank setting.

7. chickadee

Females do not have the long flowing fins that the males do, but the crowntails do have the little spread out tails that look like Marty's did when he was little and not fully finned. They just don't grow any longer. There fins on their back and tummy stay shorter and never get flowing. I would try to photograph Misty but her fins are cellophane and hard to see and she is such a tiny thing it is not fair to use her as an example of how beautiful a full grown female can be. I borrowed some pictures from the   site. I hope they don't mind. If I knew all the people to ask I would have asked permission. Oh well, I won't break any more copywrite laws today. These are all little females and good representations of what a full grown female will be like. There are many more pictures at the above site.

Rose
    ::)

Attached Files:

8. OP
    OP
    d

dahlyValued MemberMember

Very nice! Thanks for the imput and the picture show! ;D

9. newbie101Well Known MemberMember

"Hi, I'm buying a betta question, how much are they?"

That title is funny :p

10. 0morrokh

0morrokhFishlore VIPMember

Another cool thing about females is that some of them have horizontal dark stripes, which no males have.

11. chickadee

when they have those stripes it generally means that they are ready to spawn ;)

Rose
    :)

12. 0morrokh

0morrokhFishlore VIPMember

I read that too, except that I have seen half-sized females in the fish store with stripes. Could some of them just have that coloration? ???

13. chickadee

i haven't ever seen any or read about them but that doesn't mean they don't exist. ;)

Rose
    :)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice