Buying a 55 Gallon operational tank from a friend

MotherTucker

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I am buying a 55 gallon tank with stand, light and 2 filters. (He is keeping fish and decoration). I grew up around aquariums and used to do the fish-in cycling. However, I am wondering that if i transfer the filters and the gravel immediately after transporting the tank will it already be cycled? Or at least make the cycling take a shorter time? I know I would need to give it time to make sure everything worked out.

Thanks,

Josh

P.S.
Any tips for the move would be greatly appreciated

MotherTucker

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
It is two of these

And they are from the same tank. I am getting both the tank and the two filters. So the same size.

Teleost

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
As long as you keep the media wet, you should be able to maintain the cycle.

When you move a whole tank, it's worth keeping a close eye on your water for the first couple of weeks as you can get a mini cycle. If you don't intend on adding fish immediately, you will need a food source for the bacteria. Either pure ammonia or a little food in the bottom of the tank.

Sayba

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
If you keep the filters wet, maybe in a bucket of water for the trip I would say it would stay cycled.

I helped a friend move a really big tank when he sold it, tank went on the back seat and I sat next to it to make sure it didn't fall, the stand we took a part and kept it in the boot of the car.

utkgreg

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
+1 on Teleost's post. If you keep the media wet the bacteria should mostly survive. You'll need to make sure they have some sort of food source, though.

Btw, welcome to FishLore!

Rivieraneo

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I am buying a 55 gallon tank with stand, light and 2 filters. (He is keeping fish and decoration). I grew up around aquariums and used to do the fish-in cycling. However, I am wondering that if i transfer the filters and the gravel immediately after transporting the tank will it already be cycled? Or at least make the cycling take a shorter time? I know I would need to give it time to make sure everything worked out.

Thanks,

Josh

P.S.
Any tips for the move would be greatly appreciated
get yourself a small container or bucket, fill with old tank water and stuff the filter media in there including any bio wheels or bio media, should be ok during your move then set everything up at your home and put the used filters back into the HOB. Remember to dechlorinate your water. Home Depot or Lowes buckets will be your best friends for moving substrate and tank items.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom