Dismiss Notice
Hi there! You are currently viewing the forum as a guest. To log in, go here.

To become a member please register here.

Buying A 125 Tank

Discussion in 'Filters and Filtration' started by Rhobbs521, Apr 3, 2019.

1. Rhobbs521Valued MemberMember

was looking at canister filters mostly. What model would you recommend that is quiet and reliable? Not 100% against HOB because that’s what I use in my other tanks but I would need at least two and for that price I could get one canister for less.

2. A201Well Known MemberMember

Research the Fluval FX-4 & FX-6. Either one would be fine for a 125 gal.

3. dcocinciValued MemberMember

Petsmart has sales periodically on the FX4/FX6. Not sure about the FX6 but the FX4 is normally $280 and the sale is for $200. I bought 2 of the FX4s for my 125 when they were on sale. Maybe overkill but if one dies I still have the other.

4. Morpheus1967Well Known MemberMember

Petsmart will also match any online price, with the exception of ebay. So find the cheapest price you can online, and Petsmart will match it.

5. IslandvicWell Known MemberMember

Kensfish.com has Seachem Tidal 110 HOB filters on sale for $62 a pop, normally over $85 each. I've bought from Ken's before and will again.

Would you consider a sump?

What is your budget?

As other's have mentioned, Petsmart was running an in-store deal on Fluval FX4/6 canisters.

Also, Fluval released last month in the UK their new generation x07 model canisters.

We should be getting them also shortly in the US.

That would mean whoever has the current gen x06 models in stock will put them on sale/clearance.

Depending on your time frame, you may be able to find a pair of Fluval 406's for half-off if you look carefully.

6. IslandvicWell Known MemberMember

Also, there is the SunSun 704B.

You can get them without media for about $70-$80 online.

It would be better to buy your own media to customize them the way you want.

If you get 2 of them, the 1st can be filled with layers of progressively denser foam sponge layers with the top basket full of PolyFil batting.

The 2nd canister can hold your foam sponge and floss layers, biological, crushed coral (if stocking African cichlids) and chemical filtration.

Dont underestimate how well layers of foam sponges will colonize your bacteria.

7. Rhobbs521Valued MemberMember

I’ve been reading about canisters and power outages. We deal with them a lot at my house because we are on the main line of out energy company. I’m worried about flooding would it be safer to use a HOB or sponge filter?

8. Jack B NimbleValued MemberMember

Cannister wont leak during a power outage. Look at the penplex 1000 on sale Amazon like 80 bucks.

9. IslandvicWell Known MemberMember

Why would a canister leak or flood during power outage?

When I feed my 75g, I occasionally unplug my canister then plug it back in 10 min later.

I also unplug it during water changes.

Everytime I plug it back in, it starts right up.

I was hesitant at first also buying one.

Most times, "leaks" are from user error.

I also put hose clamps at the connection where the ends of the hoses meet the connections.

I have a Hydor 600 and I have never had any issues with it.

10. IslandvicWell Known MemberMember

You can also look into putting sponge filters in the back corners instead of HOB's or canisters.

Take a look at ATI Hydro Sponge Filters. I use them in my tanks and I like the brand a lot.

They have a modular design and you can stacked them together.

Their "Pro" models use coarse foam sponges for high flow applications and their regular models use fine foam sponge.

You can buy 2 Hydro Sponge IV's or V's and 2 of the same Pro versions.

Stack the fine foam ones on top of the coarse foam models.

Then throw a power head on top, such as an Aquaclear 70 powerhead. That would give you 400gph flow through each sponge tower.

Kensfish.com and Jehmco.com has the best selection of ATI filters and spare parts/adapters.

To stack them, you need to buy extra "bulls-eye" & "step" pieces.

American Aquarium Products also has a large selection of ATI products l, with tons of pics and extra info. ( ).

If you lookup the "Prime Time Aquatics" YouTube channel, Jason primarily runs ATI sponge filters in all of his tanks in his fish rooms, even his 150g tank.

Look for his "fish room tour" videos and you will see them everywhere.

11. scarfaceFishlore VIPMember

I use two different brands of canisters. Never had an issue with leaks. I plug it, unplug it. Still doesn't leake. Had a power failure too. Again, no issues. If canisters leaked because of power outtages or whenever they were unplugged, no one would be buying them. That would be a serious design flaw.

12. Rhobbs521Valued MemberMember

Also with power outages if it’s too long wouldn’t a sponge filter be more likely to keep the BB alive than a HOB or canister?

13. CichlidudeWell Known MemberMember

If your media stays wet, your BB will stay alive for days, weeks and even months. Never a worry there.

14. Rhobbs521Valued MemberMember

Hey I have a question if I needed to remove medicine with sponge filters how would I go about using something like activated carbon

15. Rhobbs521Valued MemberMember

I love sponges I use them in every tank I have instead of cartridges on my HOB.

16. IslandvicWell Known MemberMember

Probably a series of 50% water changes would clear out residual meds.

What doesnt clear out from PWC's will disapate on their own naturally, depending on their half-life.

17. Rhobbs521Valued MemberMember

Thanks good to know! I love sponges because of the mechanical and biological filtration. Plus the pump and two filters will be a quarter of the cost of a good canister filter.