Buyiing fish thru the mail

JackieN

Valued Member
Reaction score
Hi, has anyone here had experience buying/shipping fish via mail?? I am looking for some diamond tetra's, so far neither Petsmart or Petco has them. I only have one small petstore besides these two, and I'm not thrilled with his tanks/quality.
I was thinking of buying them via mail, but!!??????
Jackie

Gunnie

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Check and see if you have a local fish club or aquatic society. That is the best way to get healthy fish. You can also ask your local fish store if they will special order the fish for you. Eventhough you don't like your local mom and pop store, if they agreed to add your request to their order, you could possibly pick up the fish before they are even released from their shipping bag, and you could save on shipping. Ordering fish online is usually gonna cost you at least $30.00 minimum just for overnight shipping. Another option would be to keep your eyes open on www.aquabid.com for the fish you want. You may get lucky and find a local breeder or hobbyist listing some for sale. I actually found a breeder in my area this way.

chickadee

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I have most of my fish purchased by mail but let me caution you, during this time of year most breeders are hesitant to ship fish to an individual. If they are to ship to a store or somewhere buying a large number it is easier to keep the fish warm and also the shipping is done in a different manner. Shipping a few or a single fish during cold weather is VERY risky. Someone may agree to do it but usually if you insist on it they will void any warranty of live delivery. I know that the few breeders I will continue to order from would not consider sending to me until they are sure the weather will not be outside the fish's ability to handle. Heat packs can be added but they only do so much and if the mail is slowed or there is a delay of any kind I would say you can pretty much plan on a 100% death rate. During the warmer weather, I would order through the mail from the breeders I have dealt with and still do business with in a minute. It is true that you need to be prepared to pay for shipping as it is not unusual to pay $30 for shipping and depending on what you have paid for the fish (they are usually more expensive pricewise too) the total bill for a Betta, say, since I know about buying bettas online, can run from the $3.95 + $7.00 postage for Marty upwards to $45.00 + $30.00 postage for Alexander (don't take me literally but the figures are pretty close - I am going on memory here, I know I am close but I may be a little off.)

Just one person's opinion.
Rose

JackieN

Valued Member
Reaction score
Gunnie said:
Check and see if you have a local fish club or aquatic society. That is the best way to get healthy fish. You can also ask your local fish store if they will special order the fish for you. Eventhough you don't like your local mom and pop store, if they agreed to add your request to their order, you could possibly pick up the fish before they are even released from their shipping bag, and you could save on shipping. Ordering fish online is usually gonna cost you at least $30.00 minimum just for overnight shipping. Another option would be to keep your eyes open on www.aquabid.com for the fish you want. You may get lucky and find a local breeder or hobbyist listing some for sale. I actually found a breeder in my area this way.
Thank you for your advice..I will check into this..I like the idea of ordering them..from the LFS and picking them up before they are put into their tanks. I will also check my local papers and aquabid.com.
Jackie

JackieN

Valued Member
Reaction score
chickadee said:
I have most of my fish purchased by mail but let me caution you, during this time of year most breeders are hesitant to ship fish to an individual. If they are to ship to a store or somewhere buying a large number it is easier to keep the fish warm and also the shipping is done in a different manner. Shipping a few or a single fish during cold weather is VERY risky. Someone may agree to do it but usually if you insist on it they will void any warranty of live delivery. I know that the few breeders I will continue to order from would not consider sending to me until they are sure the weather will not be outside the fish's ability to handle. Heat packs can be added but they only do so much and if the mail is slowed or there is a delay of any kind I would say you can pretty much plan on a 100% death rate. During the warmer weather, I would order through the mail from the breeders I have dealt with and still do business with in a minute. It is true that you need to be prepared to pay for shipping as it is not unusual to pay $30 for shipping and depending on what you have paid for the fish (they are usually more expensive pricewise too) the total bill for a Betta, say, since I know about buying bettas online, can run from the $3.95 + $7.00 postage for Marty upwards to $45.00 + $30.00 postage for Alexander (don't take me literally but the figures are pretty close - I am going on memory here, I know I am close but I may be a little off.)

Just one person's opinion.
Rose
Thank you Rose...yes..I did think of the cooler weather re: shipping. And..the expense also. Thanks very much for all the info..I appreciate it.
Jackie

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom