buy a new fish how do u put him the tank Question 

izzyfishfarmer

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
so feel free to move this thread if need just curious what do you think is the best way to acclimate a fish

Meenu

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I prefer to drip water from my tank into a container with the new fish using airline tubing. An hour or so of that, and then I net the fish out and add to the tank.

BUT, the best way is, of course, to put the new fish into a q-tank, and not the main one.

fishingman001

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I do what Meenu does. I drip water in the bag and when the bag is full I take the fish out with a net and put them in the original tank. I also turn my lights off for a couple hours so the fish can settle in and it doesn't stress them even more.

The floating the bag trick doesn't really acclimate them really well because the surface water is a different temp than the water that is deeper.

Aquarist

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years

Deano_

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Here's my 10 cents worth..... I use the float on the top method, even with pond fish.... NEVER had and issues to date, and that's well over ten years worth...

izzyfishfarmer

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
yea ive been using that method float on top I just wanted to see what else is out there I may try some new ones

ticocruiser

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Thank you for the link, I have always used the float the bag method, but will be trying the drip method

FredBjammin

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Have always use the floating bag on in the Q-tank. But think I'm going to try the drip method next time, it sounds like it would be better for the fish and a little less stressful.

Jaysee

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I put the fish in a britta pitcher with the water they came in and add some tank water here and there. Then I pour out most of the water in the sink and pour the fish into the tank.

Kupcake

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Jaysee said:
I put the fish in a britta pitcher with the water they came in and add some tank water here and there. Then I pour out most of the water in the sink and pour the fish into the tank.
This is what I do also.

The float method has been getting some bad rep around here, all the fish stores have the big WARNING! signs. They say that if you float a bag then it hinders the escape of CO2 and can cause brain damage in fish. I don't know if it's true or not, but I prefer to add my water to their water. The floating method only introduces them to your temps (and only the temps of the water at the surface), it doesn't introduce them to your pH, kH, or any other veriables in your water.

Just how I think.

izzyfishfarmer

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
great video ken very helpful

sirdarksol

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
It depends. There are times that I float the bag on the surface and use a turkey baster to add aquarium water. After I fill the bag, I use the turkey baster to take water out and continue the process. The lights are off during this time, to keep the bag from overheating, and to keep the fish from panicking too much. I do this in the winter, when my house is often around the low to mid sixties, and I don't want to expose tropical fish to those temps.
During the summer, when my house is in the low seventies, I use a 5 gallon bucket and a drip acclimator (what Meenu described, with a valve on the end to allow me to adjust the flow rate down to drips per second.)

And, as Meenu said, quarantine is the way to go (no, I don't always do it, either, but I try to do so with my community tank).

Meenu

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
sirdarksol said:
It depends. There are times that I float the bag on the surface and use a turkey baster to add aquarium water. After I fill the bag, I use the turkey baster to take water out and continue the process. The lights are off during this time, to keep the bag from overheating, and to keep the fish from panicking too much. I do this in the winter, when my house is often around the low to mid sixties, and I don't want to expose tropical fish to those temps.
During the summer, when my house is in the low seventies, I use a 5 gallon bucket and a drip acclimator (what Meenu described, with a valve on the end to allow me to adjust the flow rate down to drips per second.)

And, as Meenu said, quarantine is the way to go (no, I don't always do it, either, but I try to do so with my community tank).
I also use the flow regulator valve. I got it from the LFS for $1.50.

catsma_97504

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
I float the bag in my QT tank, adding tank water every 15-30 minutes. Once the bag get full, then I remove about half the water and dump it down the drain....and continue the process for a couple of hours. Then, I net the fish toss the remaining water. Then, after 2-4 weeks, I move the fish to their new home.

Toggle Sidebar

New Threads