butterfly pleco or hillstream butterfly loach?

Discussion in 'Pleco - Plecostomus' started by rawdawg1017, Aug 12, 2015.

1. rawdawg1017Valued MemberMember

I purchased this fish from petsmart that is labeled as a butterfly pleco. After doing some research ive decided that its a hillstream butterfly loach. Still a little confused though, they arent the same fish are they?

2. rawdawg1017Valued MemberMember

3. shuwaeValued MemberMember

Definitely a hillstream loach but I am not sure which species as the photo is not clear enough. These are subtropical (temperate) fish. Best to keep separate from tropical fish. Eats mostly algae. Small chance of it eating fish food. Different from plecos.

4. ToniaWell Known MemberMember

The picture is a bit blurry, but it does look like a hillstream loach.

Here is a good link for care taking. Choose the loach that most closely matches the loach you have.

They are super cool fish and they do like higher water currents.

5. Anders247Fishlore LegendMember

A butterfly pleco is in a different Order (Siluriformes) than hilstream loaches (Cypriniformes). But I have heard of hillstreams being mislabeled as "butterfly plecos"......
    Yours is definitely a hillstream loach.

Last edited: Aug 12, 2015
  6. rawdawg1017Valued MemberMember

That kind of sucks because I have him with my angels, therefore the temp is higher around 78 to 80 and the only current I have is from my filters.

7. hampalongWell Known MemberMember

They need a lot of oxygen, being from mountain streams. The ideal tank for these and the ideal tank for Angels are two very different tanks.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice