Butterfly Goodeid(?)

Tom
Has any body had any experience with them? I just got 8 really young ones today at a monthly aquarium meeting and want to know more about them.
Tom

Dino
We have them here.

Make sure you keep fry in with the adults, when you get to that point.

That way, they tend not to eat the fry.

It is a very fine fish, saddly losing ground in it's natural environment.

We have a female here who is over two inches long.

The sexes must be kept together, for unlike the more commonly kept livebearers, the female must be impregnated each time, for her to drop fry.

Tom
Thanks. How big can they get?
Tom

COBettaCouple
8 of them! Going to need a big tank for them, 55 gallon or so.

Here's an info page on them. I think they'll get to around 4" or so, ours are a few months old and about 2" each.

Tom
Thanks. I plan on selling all but a pair of them, but right now, they are still really really young.
Tom

Butterfly
Butterfly Goodied is the common name for Ameca splendens . they make a very pretty group if your tank is big enough.
carol

lyndatu
Congrats on the new fish

Well I never had Butterfly Goodeids before, but I heard they can be aggressive when fully mature, and can grow up to 10 cm. They are good in cleaning up algae, as well as beard algae. They are beautiful fish. They are also hardy.

Good luck!

platy ben
I bought a pair last summer not knowing they were livebearers, and now I have around 20-30 and its really annoying, idont know where to get rid of them

the adult males are quite aggresive to other fish who get to close to them or there female so watch out for them.

Butterfly
I bought a pair last summer not knowing they were livebearers, and now I have around 20-30 and its really annoying, idont know where to get rid of them

the adult males are quite aggresive to other fish who get to close to them or there female so watch out for them.
Most LFS will gladly take them.
Carol

Dino
Shops pay wholesalers 2-3 dollars a fish for this fish.

Tom
Or if you could find an aquarium club in your area, then you could take them there and get local hobbyists to buy them from you.
Tom

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
jjohnwm
Replies
Views
jclee
Replies
Views
OldFort Exotics
  • Question