Butter/bibb Lettuce Grows Well In Aquarium

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by Tiny_Tanganyikans, Apr 23, 2017.

1. Tiny_Tanganyikans

Tiny_TanganyikansWell Known MemberMember

Well I've experimenting with a lot of plants hydroponically and about 2 weeks ago I started these little lettuce sprouts and they're taking off nicely. Just thought I'd share... the loaches love hanging out in the roots.

20170423_171304.jpg20170423_171257.jpg

2. Kysarkel000

Kysarkel000Well Known MemberMember

I love your setup! Ive been thinking about trying to turn my tank into a hydroponic system.

How are you keeping the lettuce afloat?

Also, is it safe to eat said lettuce since it's in direct contact with "fish manure" and the chemicals you use to keep the tank water stable? I know on land, there are problems if you keep a livestock farm uphill to a plant farm because rain water carries manure down the hill and contaminates the plants.

3. OP
    OP
    Tiny_Tanganyikans

I cut holes into strips of acrylic and inserted them into a HOB.

I'm going to eat it, I guess we will find out how safe it is. I grow vegetables out of my goldfish pond/garden and I've never gotten sick, I use prime and all the same fertilizer

4. APierce

APierceWell Known MemberMember

I use my water change water to water my garden but this takes things to a while new level.... How did you start the lettuce?

5. BuddahNew MemberMember

I mean most of all of our produce is fertilized with cow crap so i can't imagine it would be dramatically worse. It is a bit fishy though ;-)

6. OP
    OP
    Tiny_Tanganyikans

I bought little sprouts from a garden store and put them into my hydroponic garden in pvc tubes, after the roots adapted to water I pulled them out and put them here. They've been in for two weeks and trippled in size. I have two more growing in my cichlid sump also

7. APierce

I'll have to see if I can figure out how to start them as seeds :) That sounds really neat though!

8. OP
    OP
    Tiny_Tanganyikans

Starting them in dirt or getting sprouts is easier. I have a germination tray and some small T5 growlights to start seedlings then I just wash away the soil and pop them in.

Here's an onion growing in a pothos filter, it's filled with seachem pond matrix and lava rock as medium. I'm going to move it into my new system in a day or two so i can bury it in pond matrix. I just setup a new 6 aquarium system that uses my indoor goldfish pond as a sump. That's my project for today.. finishing it.

20170423_193122-1.jpg

9. APierce

I can def start them in dirt. I've got my own set up for growing seedlings for my garden, This all looks so interesting! I think I"m going to just plant a few lettuce seeds and try it out myself :)

10. OP
    OP
    Tiny_Tanganyikans

It's extremely easy, gut an old hob and fill it with matrix or pond matrix (pond matrix is the best growing medium and i prefer it to perlite/vermiculite etc) and you have an instant hydro garden.

I've filled up all my hobs with all kinds of stuff, but I took 2" and 4" pvc pipes and drilled holes in them and have all sorts of stuff growing in my pond. As long as there is enough oxygen and light the plants will do well even without ferts. The fish waste is more than enough. I only moved thr lettuce because I realized how long the roots were. My goldfish will devour any visible roots and I love the dangling roots in my aquariums.

11. APierce

I was actually thinking about setting this up to start it and then move it to my cichlid tank so they could munch away at it, seems like a great idea to keep them healthy! I'm also thinking about doing something similar to a new tank when I get it. I do like the look.

12. Mom2some

Mom2someWell Known MemberMember

Fascinating! Thanks for sharing!

13. JRS

JRSWell Known MemberMember

I agree fascinating. I am not sure I could get my family to go along with eating food from the fishtank, but probably less chemicals than what I buy at the store.

14. Kysarkel000

Kysarkel000Well Known MemberMember

There are hydroponic mediums that look like little foam blocks (almost like insulation) that fit into a hydroponic basket. I don't know the correct terminology lol. But the foam blocks have slots to put plant starts or seeds into. I was in horticulture for a year in high school.

15. OP
    OP
    Tiny_Tanganyikans

They're fiberglass and I avoid them in the aquarium because they do release splinters overtime

Seachems pond matrix is the best medium

16. APierce

I just planted some spinach in some peat pellets. I thought I had lettuce but nope. I think spinach will still do fine though, hopefully :)

17. RedLoredAmazon

RedLoredAmazonWell Known MemberMember

I probably wouldn't be able to get my family to eat food I grew out of the tank either! I must say this is a really neat idea! If you weren't comfortable with eating it yourself, I'm sure you could feed it to your herbivore fish!

18. APierce

I water my garden with water from fish tanks, so they won't be able to complain too much when I tell them it is the same concept :)

19. JRS

JRSWell Known MemberMember

True

20. OP
    OP
    Tiny_Tanganyikans

My better half was reluctant at first but then I showed videos of people farming rice, and other huge hydroponic farms filled with koi and mosquito fish... she now even eats my spirulina

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice