55 Gallon Tank Busted sump pump

raptorsvt79

so I disconnected the power to my pump, in order to do a water change on my tank, with the sump filtering system. When I finished I attempted to connect the electrical cord back to the power outlet. It began to run and then I saw some sparks on the outlet and the pump died. As I disconnected I saw the two connectors kind of rusty. At first I thought sand might have gotten into the pump, but I really think it was the electrical cord connectors which were rusty. Anyways I heard that I need at least a 300wpg pump for my 55 gallon tank. Is this correct and if so how much am I looking at spending for a new pump?

By the way will I lose my beneficial bacteria, while my pump is broken? how much time before I lose my cycle?

Aquarist

Good morning,

Pumps are always something that is good to have more than 1 of, the 2nd being a spare. If it's within your means, I would recommend that you now purchase 2, keeping one as a spare.

300 gph should be fine for the 55 gallon using a Sump or Wet/Dry.

I recommend the Mag Drive Pumps in the link below. You may have to drop to a Mag Drive 250 @ 250 gph (gallons per hour)

No one can tell you exactly how long your beneficial bacteria will last. If possible, add some of the filter media directly into the tank itself. This will help to preserve some of the beneficial bacteria. Do you have any other type of filtration that you can use while you wait for the new pump?

Best wishes for your tank and fish!

Ken

raptorsvt79

Ok good I was reading that I have to use 550 gph, but 300 would be great.

raptorsvt79

Does anyone know how much these pumps cost?

Kareen

Go check out the Sicce pumps at Aquacave thay are more quiter thay are better then a magdrive

Latest threads

Top Bottom