55 Gallon Tank Busted Heater

inari

Hey guys,

I am currently setting up a new (to me) 55 gallon. I have resealed it (That was actually kind of easy and almost fun), I have purchased a new filter as the one I got with the tank was garbage on a stick. It didn't even have a lid with it (who does that?!). I am currently testing the heater I have gotten with the tank and guess what it doesn't do...If you said to heat the water give yourself an Oreo (or one of my wife's chocolate chip softball-sized cookies). So I am now in the market for a heater that is adjustable for a 55 Gallon tank. Suggestions? This is a freshwater tank (I guess that's a given). I am planning to have it planted with medium-light requirements at the highest. I will have angels likely some cories, a pleco, and maybe a few more colorful fish as well. I will be having a bubbler in two places as well just for looks. What would be a good, better, and best option for a heater I have never had to replace one for a larger tank before. My last tank was a 10 gallon and I got a cheap tetra heater to replace my previous cheap tetra heater. Also If you know of some good lamp options we would like something that can be turned on to do its job during the day, but at night have a light that won't bother the fish, but let us still see the fish easily.

Thanks!

MoshJosh

I like the Fluval heaters (M-series I think).

Upvote 0

inari

I like the Fluval heaters (M-series I think).

Are they super pricy? I don't want to be cheap, but I don't want to be breaking the bank either.

Upvote 0

BigManAquatics

I have good luck with the regular Aqueon heaters, not the Pro series. Think the last ones i ordered on Amazon were about $20 each for 200 watt size

Upvote 0

inari

I have good luck with the regular Aqueon heaters, not the Pro series. Think the last ones i ordered on Amazon were about $20 each for 200 watt size

Is that about what size you will need for a 55 gallon? About a 200 watt?

Upvote 0

StarGirl

Is that about what size you will need for a 55 gallon? About a 200 watt?
Thats what size I have in mine. I know some people like to run 2 just in case, and so they dont have to run as hard.

Upvote 0

inari

Thats what size I have in mine. I know some people like to run 2 just in case, and so they dont have to run as hard.

Even with 2 heaters at this size, I would imagine that is not much in the grand scheme of a tank LOL I don't know if I will start with 2 hearts (Unlikely) but I will definitely be keeping one on back up just in case one decides to die on me, because they never decide to die at 10 am on a Tuesday morning right after payday. They always decided to do it at 2 am on a Saturday right before a holiday in the dead of winter LOL

Upvote 0

StarGirl

Even with 2 heaters at this size, I would imagine that is not much in the grand scheme of a tank LOL I don't know if I will start with 2 hearts (Unlikely) but I will definitely be keeping one on back up just in case one decides to die on me, because they never decide to die at 10 am on a Tuesday morning right after payday. They always decided to do it at 2 am on a Saturday right before a holiday in the dead of winter LOL
I have been running only one for years now.

Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

• gibsonfan2332
  • Heater
Replies
Views
Fisch
55 Gallon Tank Recommend a heater
Replies
Views
FishDin
Replies