Business Plan for Algebra Class

Status
Not open for further replies.

Elodea

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
We have to make up a business plan in Algebra, and do a powerpoint presentation on it. My friend and I are doing one on breeding and selling RCS.

Basically, we are selling shrimp at $3 per shrimp. (When I seriously start working on this in the summer, you guys get them at a $2 discount because you're awesome) Subtract the cost for the breather bags and heat packs and food and stuff, the tank and test kit and platns, and, to make a long story short, each shipment (5 shrimp) is $13.99 profit. The amount paid for the tank and stuff: $182

Anyways, one of the questions on the worksheet is: How much money can you make in 1 month?

Answer:

Now you’d assume that the profit would be $21.88, but instead, the profit would be -$170, owing to the fact that it normally takes a fish tank 2 months to complete the Nitrogen Cycle*. When cycling is in progress, nothing could be added to the tank but the plants, so no money is being made. Also, since the shrimp cannot be added yet, they are not yet bought, so the profit is -$170 instead of -$182.

Now for the Powerpoint, I'm going to have 3 whole slides dedicated to The Nitrogen Cycle and cycling a tank. It's gonna be so fun describing it to the whole class! ;D

I'll post the Powerpoint when it's finished.

Meenu

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Cool project, Brian. Can you write into the business plan "purchasing" some seeded media? Maybe your business could "buy" it from you and speed up the cycle, so you don't have to calculate 2 entire months as a loss due to cycling?

Sorry if you didn't want feedback, I know this is in your blog.

Elodea

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Whoops. Should've thought of that before we finished the powerpoint. Good advice, if I saw it earlier.

Tanman19az

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
So you're gonna join the millions of others in the RCS market? I've seen these shrimp get cheaper and cheaper to buy. Try tiger shrimp or another up and coming shrimp

Elodea

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
I was first thinking of CRS (makes a real profit) or, yes, blue tiger shrimp, but, knowing my classmates as uneducated in the aquatics department, they will very likely not believe or take seriously a shrimp that is sold at $8 apiece. "Who the heck will buy an eight-dollar shrimp that's barely an inch long?"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Bottom