Bushy plants that do not shed leaves?

MiaK

I have a few different types of Ludwigia and while I like their bushy appearance they are shedding lots of leaves and it drives me nuts. Any recommendations? If it could be plant that is not growing crazy tall (up to 10inches) it would be perfect

angelcraze

Fishlore VIP
Which type of ludwigia? Repens only sheds lower leaves if the bottom gets shaded and/or they are planted too closely together.

But if you can find hygro polysperma or rosenervig, I used to use these stems as a bushy carpet or ground cover.

Stems can be cut and replanted, the cut part grows a new shoot or two, the replanted part keeps growing and grows new roots at the base. Meaning you can keep them pruned to any height.

For easy 'bushy' stems, have you tried anacharis? Or wisteria? Wisteria is more lacey than bushy. But I make little 'bush' areas with stem plants by planting the nicer tops in front of the stem bases that are oftentimes more scraggly to hide the uglier stem parts.

OP
MiaK

MiaK

It would work I guess :joyful: but I'm open to more recommendations :p

angelcraze

Fishlore VIP
MiaK said:
It would work I guess :joyful: but I'm open to more recommendations :p
Can you give a better idea of what you mean by bushy? I really like to use rotala rotundifolia, but it grows tall really quickly.

OP
MiaK

MiaK

I meant cabomba :) I have oval ludwigia, boardleaf ludwigia and super mini red. They all sheds like crazy but I really wanted to plant them tight to achieve that "bushy" appearance. With vals it's gonna be long time till they grow big enough. I have them already and I really wanted them to grow big but I need to be patient.. I bought Ludwigias pretty big and they already look good but shed like crazy plus they are growing like crazy,

angelcraze

Fishlore VIP
How long have you had the ludwigia? Could it still be transitioning to your tank?

Cabomba IME needs lots of light to grow nice and bushy. In lower light (in the corners/background) it will reach for the light and more space between lead nodes. So if you plant them tightly, expect some leaf loss at the bases if they are shaded. But by planting the tops in front, it hides the ungly stem parts. a new shoot will form in behind the top parts. The stems need the light to stay looking bushy. As far as I know, it's totally normal.

The top parts aren't shedding are they?

New Threads