Bushy Nose Plec In A 20 Gallon Long?

1. toeknee

toeknee Well Known Member Member

Hello everyone, I have a 3 year old 20 gallon long very very heavily planted tank. It houses 8 peppered corys, 7 harlequin rasboras and a dwarf gourami. It has three h.o.b. aquatech 5-15 gallon filters packed with extra bio-media. I was hoping to get a clown pleco to add to my tank since they are one of the very few plecos recommended for 20 gallon and up tanks however i've been unable to find any for months now. But I do see bushy nose plecos for sale often....I know the bushy nose plec is recommended to have a 30 gallon tank. However since a 20 gallon longs floor dimensions are the same a 30 tall I'm wondering if a bushy plec could be feasible in a 20 long? I've read conflicting info, some say a 30 gallon is recommended not because of the size of the plec but because of their large bio-load. Most people in forums say the bushy nose very rarely reaches over 4 inches in size. And since my tank has more filtration than currently needed as well as being heavily planted I'm wondering everyone's thoughts on adding a bushy nose? Below is a pic of my tank for reference. tank.jpg

2. Discus-Tang

Discus-Tang Well Known Member Member

Personally I don't think it would work- especially not with a stocked tank like yours. They do have a high output so I think it woud be putting to much of a strain on your bioload.

I'm currently growing mine out in a 23.

3. aussieJJDude

aussieJJDude Well Known Member Member

I personally think its fine personally... but thats me.

4. Anders247

Anders247 Fishlore Legend Member

IMO, it's fine.

5. scarface

scarface Fishlore VIP Member

I think it’ll work, too.

I have a different opinion on pleco bioload, but that’s for an entirely different topic.

6. OP
    OP
    toeknee

toeknee Well Known Member Member

Thanks everyone. I think it would be fine as well, If i can't find any clown plecos near me within the next week or two I'll go for the bushy nose. I'm curious on your opinion on a plecs bio load @scarface ? Most opinions seem that they poo a ton, but seeing as my tank has so many plants that could use it as fertilizer I would imagine that won't be a terrible thing .

7. Discus-Tang

Discus-Tang Well Known Member Member

Yeah, if you're gonna do it you'll need to be doing extra water changes.

Btw is that TopGear on the TV?

8. Fanatic

Fanatic Fishlore VIP Member

I think you are good to go.
    That’s a beautiful tank by the way!

9. scarface

scarface Fishlore VIP Member

I’ll have to do some more research to back up my claims, and it’ll take me some time to write it. But in short, I think pleco bioload isn’t as high as people think. Has someone actually done a comprison test with other fish and looked at water parameters? I don’t think so. I think it’s more likely people regurgitating what they hear. Yes, they poop a lot, but it’s mostly from foraging on biofilm, algae, and microorganisms that we don’t really notice and see, which I think has little effect on water quality then say feeding them fish food. A fish’s biolad is in direct proportion to how much we feed.

10. g

guppylord New Member Member

Spacewise, 1 bn in 20 long is just about right. They actually seem to really enjoy the space. Not shy, Voracious glass sucker, prob need algae wafer supplement for max growth. I highly discourage you from introducing any other algae eating sucker mouth or carpet plants.