Burst Heater

SamLynn

I'm a bit worried and not sure if I should be. I have a 46 gallon tank that I just started cycling. I added the gravel, added a decent amount of medium from an established tank I already have going, filled the tank with water, then started the filter. I waited around 20-30 minutes to allow the heater unit to adjust to the temp of the water before turning it on (it's a used Stealth submersible heater). About 10 minutes after turning the heater on, I heard a pop, look over an see a yellow fluid suddenly oozing from it. I immediately removed the heater but it probably oozed for about 30 seconds or so before I fully got it out.

What now? Do I need to drain all of the water, rinse the gravel, toss the added medium, etc.? Never had a heater burst, so I'm clueless on the severity (or hopefully non-severity) of it.ops:

AWheeler

It would really depend on what the yellow fluid was in the heater. I've had heaters bust before but there was never any fluid that leaked, just glass to clean up!
I'd def drain the tank, rinse the gravel and yes, toss all the medium in the filter. I'd also clean out the inside of the filter really well and clean the glass on the tank until it was dry, then wipe it down with some white vinegar, rinse it and wipe it down again until it was dry.

SamLynn

It would really depend on what the yellow fluid was in the heater. I've had heaters bust before but there was never any fluid that leaked, just glass to clean up!
I'd def drain the tank, rinse the gravel and yes, toss all the medium in the filter. I'd also clean out the inside of the filter really well and clean the glass on the tank until it was dry, then wipe it down with some white vinegar, rinse it and wipe it down again until it was dry.
That's what I was afraid of. No offense, of course, but I hope someone responds that's familiar with Marineland Stealth heaters or yellow fluid oozing from a heater. I only say that because it's a bit discouraging to think I may have to redo all my hard work (I got everything used, so I spent a lot of time cleaning and properly sanitizing everything, plus the thought of wasting beneficial bacteria medium that I added from my other tank...). But I will do what's necessary. Fingers crossed that someone will say the yellow fluid is harmless.
Thanks for your response!

AWheeler

No offense taken! I'm actually trying to look it up for you and I'm seeing that there was a recall on these heaters back in 2011. Hopefully yours isn't that old .

SamLynn

No offense taken! I'm actually trying to look it up for you and I'm seeing that there was a recall on these heaters back in 2011. Hopefully yours isn't that old .
I saw the recall too when I was trying to find some insight on my issue. (Which, btw, that's awesome of you to be looking into it to try and help me!:happy. I do fear that the heater may be that old. We bought the tank with all the equipment from a couple who said they've had the tank for around 7-8 years, so that would fit in with the heater recall. It'd be ironic that they had it no prob, but then we get it and it burst.ead: I did see that Marineland Stealth heaters aren't rated well overall. Shoot.

AWheeler

I read a few stories that made it seem like you had your bust at the right time...no fish in tank, getting started. I also read a few where aquariums busted and breakers were tripped and small fires were seen. So, at least you didn't have any thing really horrible happen, I mean it's horrible, but it's not the worst of what I've read.
What I have read so far, is the leaking fluid....caused fish deaths. So whatever is in this thing, isn't nice (almost sounds like antifreeze). I have not been able to find out what the yellow fluid is, but honestly, I'd clean everything down really well again to be on the safe side.

SamLynn

I read a few stories that made it seem like you had your bust at the right time...no fish in tank, getting started. I also read a few where aquariums busted and breakers were tripped and small fires were seen. So, at least you didn't have any thing really horrible happen, I mean it's horrible, but it's not the worst of what I've read.
What I have read so far, is the leaking fluid....caused fish deaths. So whatever is in this thing, isn't nice (almost sounds like antifreeze). I have not been able to find out what the yellow fluid is, but honestly, I'd clean everything down really well again to be on the safe side.
Eeks, really doesn't seem good at all. I did see the thing about electrical issues but didn't see the part about the fluid (potentially being similar to antifreeze). Not cool. I was up to my shoulder grabbing the leaking heater out of the tank, yikes, glad I scrubbed well afterwards! It's a bit disturbing to think what we may be inadvertently putting into our fish village. In the end, I'm glad they at least recalled the product. But I would still love to hear if anyone has any idea of what the yellow fluid could be...heck, it's been exposed to both arms up to my shoulders. If this potential kills fish, it's clearly not good. Marineland just lost a customer (which they technically didn't have initially cuz I didn't directly buy the heater from them. haha) Again, I really appreciate the effort you put forth to help me. You rock!!

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Question
  • ghostdawg
  • Heater
Replies
Views
ghostdawg
75 Gallon Tank Setting Up Heaters
  • RookieTank
  • Heater
Replies
Views