Bunny acting strange lately

Littlewoman01
I have a male rabbit that is neutered and is normally super hyper, yet very sweet. The last month or so he's not been able to relax! He's driving me nuts lol. Every single time I let him out he instantly digs and bites the carpet/blankets and he actually bit me twice just today! He never ever bites... Granted it wasn't hard, but it's still not normal for him. I was trying to get him to stop being so destructive when that happened. Also he's peed on me twice recently because he was upset with me (probably from stopping him from ripping the carpet)

Any ideas on why he's acting so weird lately? This is the first time he's ever acted like this.

SM1199
How much space does he have? Does he have a variety of toys you can redirect his attention to? Does he have constant access to hay and water? He seems stressed.

Is it possible he was cryptorchid and your vet did not remove both testicles?

Littlewoman01
SM1199 said:
How much space does he have? Does he have a variety of toys you can redirect his attention to? Does he have constant access to hay and water? He seems stressed.

Is it possible he was cryptorchid and your vet did not remove both testicles?
He sleeps in a xlarge dog pen, but I let him out a lot.
He doesn't have a lot of toys, but the ones I've tried to give him he ignores or throws in the litter box...
Yes he always has hay and water. I feed him pellets as well (about a cup or two a day I'd say) and veggies as treats.
The vet did not say anything about that, so I'm sure the surgery went fine.

Idk if this info helps or not but from what I've seen in him (having had him so far for two years) he's only afraid of loud noises, he will run away and thump. And he doesn't like to be ignored/left alone at all.

SM1199
Bunnies, by nature, are not solitary creatures. They need other bunny companions to be truly happy. I think you saying he doesn't like to be ignored or left alone also reflects that. Animals that naturally live in groups become very anxious and will display stress signs when they don't have that companionship. Even if it isn't the direct cause, a companion is a great way to distract from destructive habits.

If you're not deterred by getting a second rabbit, it might be in his best interest to do so. If that seems daunting or you don't want to dive into it without knowing for sure if that's his issue, then you can always find a friend who has a rabbit and try a "play date" and see if he behaves differently with another rabbit around. You could also reach out to your local animal shelter to see if they are in need of a bunny foster, so you can temporarily bring a new rabbit home to see how he does with another rabbit - with the option do adopt, of course, should you fall in love with the new bunny

Littlewoman01
SM1199 said:
Bunnies, by nature, are not solitary creatures. They need other bunny companions to be truly happy. I think you saying he doesn't like to be ignored or left alone also reflects that. Animals that naturally live in groups become very anxious and will display stress signs when they don't have that companionship. Even if it isn't the direct cause, a companion is a great way to distract from destructive habits.

If you're not deterred by getting a second rabbit, it might be in his best interest to do so. If that seems daunting or you don't want to dive into it without knowing for sure if that's his issue, then you can always find a friend who has a rabbit and try a "play date" and see if he behaves differently with another rabbit around. You could also reach out to your local animal shelter to see if they are in need of a bunny foster, so you can temporarily bring a new rabbit home to see how he does with another rabbit - with the option do adopt, of course, should you fall in love with the new bunny
I actually do have another rabbit that lives with him! They absalutly love each other and cuddle all of the time. The other bunny was actually the first one I had, she's 8y/o and he's only 2y/o.
Mainly when he's out of the cage he acts so destructive. I can separate the two of them, and they are fine with that as long as I then don't leave him alone.
For example, when I vacuum my room or their cage, I take him to my mom and leave her in the cage (noises don't bother her at all) and I'm always told by my mom that he doesn't like her (my mom), when he's with her he just sits, grinds his teeth and looks for me. Which makes me feel really good, that I know he loves me/looks for me for safety .

Also to give an update on the what he's lately been doing, is just last light I had him in my bed while I was just laying down. Normally he loves to lay next to me, lick my face, and then fall asleep. That's pretty much the only time out of his cage he's that calm. So last night I did that to relax him, and he was fine at first, but soon became anxious and peed on my bed... (This is probably the third or fourth time in his whole life that he's peed on my bed) and he's been peeing on me lately more often...

SM1199
Hmm, it seems like you're doing everything right (that I can see). I would think next step would be taking him to your vet just to see if they can find any medical reason.

Littlewoman01
SM1199 said:
Hmm, it seems like you're doing everything right (that I can see). I would think next step would be taking him to your vet just to see if they can find any medical reason.
I'm thinking I will see the vet soon. I'm wondering if it's maybe a bladder infection of some sort..? Because of the several times he peed on me which I told you, and yesterday it was on his bed and today it's on the towel in their cage... So maybe it's an infection and it's making him uncomfortable.

saltwater60
Yes seems like he might be in pain. How is the rabbits teeth? They can grow funny and start to bother them. How long ago was the rabbit nuetured? Might be some hormones working themselves out too but not likely. Any bite marks on him or the other rabbit? 8 years old for the other rabbit is old and he’s rather young. Maybe looking for more playtime. I’d add some toys since them throwing them around is normal and that’s their way of playing so to speak.

Littlewoman01
saltwater60 said:
Yes seems like he might be in pain. How is the rabbits teeth? They can grow funny and start to bother them. How long ago was the rabbit nuetured? Might be some hormones working themselves out too but not likely. Any bite marks on him or the other rabbit? 8 years old for the other rabbit is old and he’s rather young. Maybe looking for more playtime. I’d add some toys since them throwing them around is normal and that’s their way of playing so to speak.
He's really wanting to chew on things so I've given him some branches and things like that to help, but looking at his teeth they seem fine.
He was nuetured in mid 2018
No bite marks, though I don't really know what you mean? If you mean injuries, the other bunny recently had an eye ulcer that we don't know what caused.
I do get him out to run around more often then the older bun because he has so much energy but it can be difficult. Because of cords and carpet and things like that that are really hard to bunny proof.

saltwater60
What we do to give them more space is we add an exercise pen to the one ours are kept in. That way they have say an 5x19 foot area to run in. That way they are contained and that area is bunny proofed. We rotate and they all get this for the entire day. Not sure if this is an option for you.
Again I’d have a bet that knows bunnies take a look at him. Looking at his teeth can be tricky especially the back molars.
What are you giving the bunny to chew on? Also do they have a hut to hide in? I do recommend toys or even just add an old book for them to rip up no colored pages. That brown paper packaging is great too. The long sheets that come from amazon. He’s either in pain or bored would be my guess.
Bite marks are some time rabbits bite each other and there are scabs. Check both rabbits. Tufts of fur in the enclosure can be a sign as well.

Littlewoman01
saltwater60 said:
What we do to give them more space is we add an exercise pen to the one ours are kept in. That way they have say an 5x19 foot area to run in. That way they are contained and that area is bunny proofed. We rotate and they all get this for the entire day. Not sure if this is an option for you.
Again I’d have a bet that knows bunnies take a look at him. Looking at his teeth can be tricky especially the back molars.
What are you giving the bunny to chew on? Also do they have a hut to hide in? I do recommend toys or even just add an old book for them to rip up no colored pages. That brown paper packaging is great too. The long sheets that come from amazon. He’s either in pain or bored would be my guess.
Bite marks are some time rabbits bite each other and there are scabs. Check both rabbits. Tufts of fur in the enclosure can be a sign as well.
Well I'm planning on putting in hard floor in just my room so that they can have that whole room and no cage (a hiding area but no cage). Hopefully that will be soon.
I give him crab apple branches from our tree, I looked it up to make sure it's safe and it is. But whenever we're outside he loved to eat the dried up tall grasses.
I will try to find more toys for them I can do some homemade stuff, but is there a good cheap place I can get more?
And no bite marks other than the unknown ulcer (could have been caused by a bite but I'd say that's highly unlikely).

saltwater60
Are you providing the rabbit Timothy hay? If not you should.
You can do cheap balls with bells in them or old plain colored books and the brown paper. They love to chew up and rip up paper. Simple stuffed animals work too.
Chewy online has good prices.

Littlewoman01
saltwater60 said:
Are you providing the rabbit Timothy hay? If not you should.
You can do cheap balls with bells in them or old plain colored books and the brown paper. They love to chew up and rip up paper. Simple stuffed animals work too.
Chewy online has good prices.
It's either Timothy or orchard hay but I'm not sure atm because I store it in a different box. I'll look at Chewy, thank you!

saltwater60
Timothy hay is what they need. Orchard is fine for a treat.

Littlewoman01
Wanted to update you on this subject, so I chose not to see the vet and wait and see, and he seems to have calmed down, he's not peeing on me anymore and he's back to his nice self. Buuut there's a catch... Tonight I just saw a little spot of blood in the urine. (On the towel) Since there are two bunnies together idk who it is, but now I'm really worried. So maybe I can see the vet soon, I just don't know how to tell which bunny it is..

saltwater60
You should see a vet immediately. Things go south fast in small animals. It’s likely a urinary tract infection that’s relatively easy and cheap to treat. If you know something is wrong get your pet the proper care or don’t care for a pet. Sorry if that sounds mean but you’ve known something was wrong now for almost month and have not seen a vet. It just seems strange to me.

SM1199
Please separate them and see if you can identify whose urine is bloody. At my vet hospital, we take blood in urine very seriously. I would definitely be calling your nearest vet that takes exotics TODAY and make an appointment to bring both of them in if you don't know which one it is. Don't just say "I need to make an appointment," because they'll schedule you when it's convenient for them; tell them one of your rabbits has blood in its urine, and they'll pull some strings to get you in ASAP, at least if they're a good hospital.

Littlewoman01
SM1199 said:
Please separate them and see if you can identify whose urine is bloody. At my vet hospital, we take blood in urine very seriously. I would definitely be calling your nearest vet that takes exotics TODAY and make an appointment to bring both of them in if you don't know which one it is. Don't just say "I need to make an appointment," because they'll schedule you when it's convenient for them; tell them one of your rabbits has blood in its urine, and they'll pull some strings to get you in ASAP, at least if they're a good hospital.
Thank you so much I will call the vet as soon as I can. My mom, whose owned rabbits all her life, says it could be crystals? Which is caused by too much calcium I believe. But that's just a guess. Thank you again.

Littlewoman01
saltwater60 said:
You should see a vet immediately. Things go south fast in small animals. It’s likely a urinary tract infection that’s relatively easy and cheap to treat. If you know something is wrong get your pet the proper care or don’t care for a pet. Sorry if that sounds mean but you’ve known something was wrong now for almost month and have not seen a vet. It just seems strange to me.
I will absalutly call the vet, the reason I held off at first was because it was simply a behavioral issue to start with, and so I knew the vet would either do nothing, or say 'try some antibiotics' which they normally do when they are uncertain. And since he is acting completely normal now I thought it was just a weird time. Also, since I don't know who it really is, the female or the male, I wouldn't have known anything was wrong yet. But thank you for your concern I will call a vet as soon as I can distinguish who it is, which I'll do today by separating them until they pee. Thank you again.

saltwater60
Littlewoman01 said:
I will absalutly call the vet, the reason I held off at first was because it was simply a behavioral issue to start with, and so I knew the vet would either do nothing, or say 'try some antibiotics' which they normally do when they are uncertain. And since he is acting completely normal now I thought it was just a weird time. Also, since I don't know who it really is, the female or the male, I wouldn't have known anything was wrong yet. But thank you for your concern I will call a vet as soon as I can distinguish who it is, which I'll do today by separating them until they pee. Thank you again.
Don’t wait until you know what rabbit it is. If they are a bonded pair separating them could break that bond. They should both travel to the vet together anyway since they are mates.
I agree it could be urine crystals as well. That’s a fairly common ailment in rabbits. Waiting could be deadly and fast. If they are litter trained you won’t see the blood in the box likely anyway. I’d call today to schedule an appointment. It could be the urinary issues have been boarder lone causing him pain and discomfort cause his different behavior and why he was peeing in odd places.

TheeLadyG
I'm late to the party here but look up "bladder sludge" and make absolutely sure you get to a vet that knows RABBITS in particular. Bunnies have an unusual excretory system in both feces and urine, and if you get a dog or cat vet they might not know what they are doing.

I have a rabbit who is prone to Bladder sludge and I have to keep an eye on him. He had been having health problems and I didn't know about bladder sludge, once I got him treated at the vet he was like a whole new rabbit.

Littlewoman01
TheeLadyG said:
I'm late to the party here but look up "bladder sludge" and make absolutely sure you get to a vet that knows RABBITS in particular. Bunnies have an unusual excretory system in both feces and urine, and if you get a dog or cat vet they might not know what they are doing.

I have a rabbit who is prone to Bladder sludge and I have to keep an eye on him. He had been having health problems and I didn't know about bladder sludge, once I got him treated at the vet he was like a whole new rabbit.
So I looked up what you said, and based on the symptoms it doesn't look like that's the issue. I read an article on it from oxbow, so I trust that.

Also I was just told by my mom that her rabbit (who lived to the age of 14) had the same thing with the tiny bit of blood in the urine, and she said she simply changed her diet a bit and it went away pretty fast. So maybe I could try that? Wait a day or two and if I see it again (I will put all white paper towels in their litter box so it's visible) I will 100% make an appointment. I personally think this is the best route, I know this will probably upset some of you, but I promise you all that if I truly thought that my bunnies where in any danger I will instantly make an appointment. I'll update you guys soon. Thanks again.

saltwater60
I really suggest you read this article about diet recommendations and how to treat bladder sludge. Pay special attention to where it says changing diet usually is not enough and there are many other factors that play into this. Diet alone is usually not the cause. This is a reputable source for information. This is what our rabbit rescue uses, posts on, and refers people to for educational sources.

I can assure you waiting is not a good solution. What will you do if the rabbit stops peeing tomorrow on a holiday? Emergency vet bills are very expensive. It seems to me it’s either an infection or urine crystals. Irvine crystals can also cause an infection same with reduced urine output. Either one needs to be seen and evaluated by a vet. The crystals would need to be removed by flushing the bladder if that’s the cause. They can plug the urethra and cause a blockage. That would end your rabbits life quickly.
I truly hope things turn out well for the bunny.
If no vet visit make sure your bunny is eating, drinking, and peeing. If you do separate them for this place them in pens side by side as to hopefully not break the bond. Look at the urine to see if you can see the sludge or crystals. Also might be gross but rub the urine between your fingers to see if you can feel the crystals. Hands can be washed.
Also not to muddy the waters but take a good look at it to see if it’s actually blood. Some times dark urine can look like blood and not actually be blood.

SM1199
I don't want to scare you, but rabbits are such sensitive creatures (especially as compared to dogs and cats) that things can go from 0 to 100 in a couple days and it's not worth waiting to see what you can do at home first. Again, not to scare you - but we see rabbits all the time at our hospital, our head vet specializes in domestic exotics (which are rabbits, guinea pigs, hamsters, etc), and about 75% of rabbits where owners come in saying "I thought I would wait it out" have to be euthanized in the same appointment because it got to 100 before anything could have been done.

Regardless of whether or not it is just diet or is actually bladder sludge, this advice still holds. Keep in mind you might spend more money trying to figure out a new diet than if you just paid for a vet appointment! And even if it is just dietary, your vet can confirm this so you're not searching in the dark. Please, bring BOTH to a vet ASAP! Waiting games are not good for rabbits!

Littlewoman01
Hello everyone, I'm sorry I haven't kept anyone updated, but I have to say.. my previous concern about the possible bloody urine was just an overreaction... I only saw that one spot and haven't seen anything since, and that was like two to three months ago. It's possible it was something they ate, or not related to the urine at all. Either way everyone is totally healthy and happy now. And as for the behavioral thing, it must have been just a weird time because he's back to being his normal happy-go-lucky self. Thank you all so so much for your responses, and I'm sorry if I came off as unkind to anybody, I never meant to I promise. But once again thank you guys very much!

Latest threads

Top Bottom