Bumps On Common Goldfish

Briannanala

Reaction score
What are these strange bumps on my common goldfish? He has several of them on his left side. His behavior is completely normal, and he's had them for months now. They come and go. They never break open or make ulcers. He lives in a 110 gallon pond with his brother, who doesn't have the bumps, so I guess it's not contagious, whatever it is.

Ammonia and nitrites are zero, although nitrates remain around 40 despite large weekly water changes. He seems healthy, I'm just concerned because the bumps won't go away! I feed him Variety Blend food for pond fish. I attached a few pictures of him.

Attachments

Skavatar

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
carp pox aka herpes virus. it is semi contagious, although its not known how its actually transmitted. one fish can be infected and have the bumps, and other fish in the same tank won't be infected, or at least not show any symptoms.

Briannanala

Reaction score
Thank you, that makes sense. I'll try to do more water changes to see if that helps boost his immune system. Is there anything else I should be doing? I read about raising the water temperature, but I'm reluctant to do that since goldfish generally like colder water.

Skavatar

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
goldfish are temperate, they do well in cold or warm water.

some goldfish/koi keepers say aquarium salt helps reduce or shorten the time of the symptoms. they say koi (and maybe goldfish) can outgrow the virus, as they mature and their immune system gets stronger.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom