Bump/pimple On Betta Fish Eye Help

1. maxismatched Initiate Member

Hi, I have a betta fish who has been happily living in a 10 gallon by himself with decor and all the things he needs for about 6 months now. Heater set to 78, his filter is an Aqueon 3 gallon but the other filters have all been too strong for his fins, he is a Dumbo Ear.
    Now he has a strange bump on his eye, pictures bellow. His other eye is normal. He has been acting perfectly fine otherwise.. interested in food, swimming around, etc

I recently was dealing with a lot of algae so I used some AlgaeFix a little bit ago, but I've since stopped. I just did a 50% water change yesterday and a 25% today. I usually add Prime and Stresscoat to the water change. These are my parameters as of yesterday.

Nitrate - 10
    Nitrite - 0
    Hardness - 75
    Chlorine - 0
    Alkalinity - 50?
    pH - 7

Ammonia - 0.5

Please help my little baby, idk what to do. :(
    I'm considering picking up Melafix and/or some Pimafix tomorrow... would that be a good idea?

bftokmt-jpg.jpg
    f2knrux-jpg.jpg

2. Fahn Well Known Member Member

You have ammonia in your water.

Do not use Melafix or Pimafix on a betta, as it will damage their labyrinth organ (the organ they use to breath air). The issue is most likely bacterial, just keep doing water changes and update us as needed. Perhaps somebody more experienced can chime in.

3. Aegnis Member Member

I personally have never seen bumps on my betta's eye -- I have seen bumps in their fins, which have always in my case been air bubbles that go away eventually.

How long has this bubble been there?

My recommendation would be to pick up some almond leaves, as they have great antibacterial properties and won't harm your betta (and they smell nice and turn your water a pretty brown color) in case it's something like some early version of popeye. Keep an eye on him and watch for changes in his behavior (loss of appetite, clamped fins, sitting in one spot, etc), and keep up the water changes to keep his water clean.

Also, if you've got ammonia in your water and your tank is fully cycled, pick up a bottle of SeaChem Prime; it will get rid of the ammonia that's probably in your tap water.

Of course, someone else might know better than me! Good luck with your beautiful boy!

4. maxismatched Initiate Member

Thank you both for the advice. I just ordered some almond leaves on Amazon. Would Bettafix be okay to start adding? It has the same active ingredient as Melafix but a lower amount.

Also I have been using Prime actually, should I use it during every water change? Do I want my ammonia at 0?

Thank you all

5. Aegnis Member Member

I would hold off on the bettafix unless the pimple is disrupting his diet or behavior. I personally haven't had problems with bettafix in small amounts, but I've heard of others who have had complications with it. It might be worth waiting until you get the almond leaves, unless you see a change in behavior, in which case a small amount of bettafix would probably be better than nothing (but get a confirmation on that from someone else).

Yes, you should use prime every water change. You don't want any ammonia in the water -- it's toxic to fish and can poison them if it's too high. In addition to removing ammonia, prime will also dechlorinate the water, as chlorine can harm fish. You should always be using Prime when doing water changes to remove the chlorine, and the ammonia.

6. maxismatched Initiate Member

Okay, I have about 9 little mini indian almond leaves in there, it's not turning brown though?
    I can't tell if the "bubble" is getting bigger, I think it might be, but it kind of looks like popeye from the side now, would the leaves help with this?

He's still eating and acting totally normally.

Attached Files:

7. maxismatched Initiate Member

Just an update. So the "bubble" has overtaken his entire eye now. I'm fairly convinced it is popeye so I am treating with Melafix after reading A LOT about Bettafix and Melafix. Melafix should be okay long as I don't overdose.

I have no idea what I am doing with these leaves, though. I started off with the mini ones. They didn't seem to be turning the water brown at all so I bought bigger ones. These are turning the water brown very slowly.

Should I remove my standard replaceable monthly filter? Does that have activated carbon in it which would then be stopping my water from turning brown??

8. maxismatched Initiate Member

Treated with Melafix and 1-2 Epsom salt baths a day for 7 days. His eye bubble thing shrunk a bit after doing this, and now if you look at it from the right angle, it almost looks like the "bubble" has a hole in it? I can't get a clear picture.

Through this whole thing, my betta's behavior hasn't changed. He's still his normal self, thankfully. <3 He does not seem to mind this bubble at all.