Bump on my neon tetra

belarskio

My neon tetra that I got yesterday has been hiding for a long time and I noticed a small bump on its stomache. It seems to have bigger since yesterday. The other ones I bought are doing fine and schooling together. I had to lift up the hiding spot to take the picture. Does he have a disease or could they be pregnant? I though Petsmart only sold male fish.

Nickguy5467

BettaFishObsessed

Nickguy5467 said:
ive never had any luck with neons. so i always go cardinal tetras =)
Okay, but might be bloated, have parasites, or possibly be pregnant. Did you quarantine him? If you didn’t i would so so now. If you can’t then you probably should just treat the whole tank for parasites if you notice any other symptoms. I don’t think a pregnant tetra would hide from the others, so it may be sick. Is it having trouble swimming? Have you noticed any pineconing?

Cyberwolf

what is pineconing?

BettaFishObsessed

Cyberwolf said:
what is pineconing?
Pineconing is when the fish becomes super bloated and the scales stop lying flat and start to lift up and stick out and kind of make the fish look like a pinecone. Its the main symptom of a condition called dropsy

Have you noticed that at all on your fish? Also what are your water parameters (ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, pH)

belarskio

BettaFishObsessed said:
Okay, but might be bloated, have parasites, or possibly be pregnant. Did you quarantine him? If you didn’t i would so so now. If you can’t then you probably should just treat the whole tank for parasites if you notice any other symptoms. I don’t think a pregnant tetra would hide from the others, so it may be sick. Is it having trouble swimming? Have you noticed any pineconing?
There is no pineconing, I just bought parasite treatment

BettaFishObsessed

belarskio said:
Okay. What treatment did you buy? If you have a quarantine tank to keep the fish away from others while you treat it would be best, but you can just treat the whole tank I suppose, I know your not supposed to but I have been in your situation and done that.

belarskio said:
Also that’s great that theres no pineconing! Dropsy is almost always a death sentence

BettaFishObsessed

How is everything doing?

belarskio

BettaFishObsessed said:
How is everything doing?
It grew a lot over the course of a few hours yesterday. I used Herbtana before I went to sleep and overnight it completely shrunk and is now gone. I don't know if the medicine did it or if she was pregnant and layed the eggs overnight but either way the problem was fixed. Thank you for your help!

BettaFishObsessed

belarskio said:
It grew a lot over the course of a few hours yesterday. I used Herbtana before I went to sleep and overnight it completely shrunk and is now gone. I don't know if the medicine did it or if she was pregnant and layed the eggs overnight but either way the problem was fixed. Thank you for your help!
That’s great that the problem is gone! Did you see any eggs? Has its behavior gone back to normal? And you’re welcome!

belarskio

BettaFishObsessed said:
That’s great that the problem is gone! Did you see any eggs? Has its behavior gone back to normal? And you’re welcome!
I don't see any eggs but they might be hidden, the are schooling with the other Tetras again

BettaFishObsessed

belarskio said:
I don't see any eggs but they might be hidden, the are schooling with the other Tetras again
Thats great that everything is back to normal! I hope all of your fish have happy lives

Most photos, videos and links are disabled if you are not logged in.

Top Bottom