Bump on harlequin rasbora

1. lp89

lp89 Valued Member Member

I've had these harlequin rasbora since December 12th. One of the 6 fish has a large lump on it's right side, just above the black stripe. I noticed it during acclimation as soon as I got home from the pet store. The fish does not act any different than the other 5, does anyone have any guesses as to what this bump could be?

I've included a video, sorry about the quality, my fish do not like my camera. :p

[video=youtube;qlYJmLOK46g]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qlYJmLOK46g[/video]

2. Mrs.Price

Mrs.Price Valued Member Member

It could be due to poor water conditions, my comet exhibited something similar when I failed to do my water changes for about a week and allowed my water to become poor. (needless to say, I haven't skipped a water change since) LFS don't have the best water quality, so it COULD be that, but I don't know for certain, it could also be a growth, like a tumor. Looking forward to seeing what others think it may be.

3. OP
    OP
    lp89

Here's another video. Just taken:

[video=youtube;uczx9772l8o]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uczx9772l8o[/video]

4. OP
    OP
    lp89

anyone else have any suggestions?

5. Matt B

Matt B Well Known Member Member

Has it changed in size at all in the two weeks you've had them? Its hard to see it very well, it looks like its whitish or clear, is it like a blister?

6. OP
    OP
    lp89

I wouldn't describe it as a blister. It looks like a very "neat" lump. It is definitely under his skin and if I were to touch it, I think it would be very hard.

I do not think it has grown in size in the two weeks I've had him.

My biggest worry is that it is something that can spread to his other tank mates. Can't seem to find anything similar to the problem online for rasboras.

7. Matt B

I'm really not sure what it is, it could just be growth/tumor that poses no risk to other inhabitants. Until someone chimes in who has a better idea what it may be I would handle it one of a couple ways. Either make sure you keep the water quality up and monitor him and the other fish closely or cull/return him if you're really worried about it spreading.

Another option would be to qt him if you have a tank for that, being a schooler he'll probably get pretty stressed being by himself in tank imo.

8. OP
    OP
    lp89

Still curious to know if anyone has seen this before with rasboras.

One week later and fish still seems perfectly normal, whew!

Matt, I am beginning to think you are right about it being a tumor. Do you think he can lead a relatively normal life?

9. Matt B

I have fish with one eye that do! If he doesn't seem bothered you can just carry on normally if you'd like. I would keep a close eye on tankmates jic. I'm glad he is doing well. :)

10. OP
    OP
    lp89

UPDATE:

The bump on this rasbora has completely disappeared. I can see a little scar tissue/discolouration where the bump used to be, but the skin is no longer raised. I'm thinking that this could be connected to the elevated tank temperature of 86F that I'm doing to treat ICH. Any thoughts?