Bumblebee goby

Status
Not open for further replies.

Erskine

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I recently bought a bumblebee goby from the pet center to put in my 10 gallon tank with a betta and two paleatus cats. I fed him the flakes and pellets he was fed at the pet center, but he never seemed to eat much. He died a couple of days later. I was wondering what could have gone wrong, because he seemed fine at the store. I read that he should be kept in brackish water, but if he was in fresh at the store then I assumed he should be fine in my tank. Could it have been that he was already sick, or a lack of oxygen? I don't have an air pump, but I have a whisper power filter which is supposed to aerate the water. I also noticed that my two catfish havent been very active lately, could that be a sign of oxygen deprivation?

ariolex

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Sorry to hear about your new goby.

There seems to be 2 different species of what fish stores would call BB goby: Brachygobius xanthozona and Brachygobius nunus. 1st one tolerates freshwater, second one doesnt. So it is a possiblility that the one you bought is not really suited for FW. However, I trully believe that species that are tolerant to freshwater but are really from brackish are just struggling to survive on the full freshwater environment. They can make it for a period of time but they are doomed to have a short existence.

About the remaining fish being lethargic, i recommend to check the water parameters and act accordingly. If you dont have a test kit at the moment(not listed on your profile) and you havent done a partial water change recently you should consider doing a 30-50% WC.
If you have a power filter you dont necessarily need an air pump. I don't htink the issue here is low oxygen levls. If that was the case the fish will be around the surface looking for air (well, the corys since the betta will do that anyway lol . A HOB on a 10g should create enough surface disturbance to keep the tank Oxigen levels pretty high.
good luck

Last edited:
OP
Erskine

Erskine

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Thank you I will do that.

Also, since I really loved the bumblebee goby, I was wondering if I could convert a small tetra water wonders aquarium (1.5 gallon) into a small brackish set up. I thought I could maybe put 1 or 2 bumblebee gobies in it, but I thought it might be too small. However, I always read about the 1 inch of fish per gallon of water rule and bumblebee gobies are only about 3/4 inches long...

Last edited by a moderator:

Butterfly

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Having a brachish tank for them sounds like a good idea. I understand neither of the bubblebee gobys thrive in freshwater.
Carol

2brown347

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I'm a couple months late but there are actually a few varities found (in various frequencies) in the trade (I've been doing a lot of research on them recently). You should make an effort to ID them, even though it can be really difficult for some of them.

Brachygobius xanthomelas - true freshwater
Brachygobius aggregatus - true freshwater
Brachygobius nunus - brackish

If you know what you got then it should be fairly easy to figure out what they need, if not try your best and set up the tank to what suits that prediction.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Toggle Sidebar

UV Sterilizers Worth It?

• Yes

Votes: 26 23.6%
  • No

Votes: 10 9.1%
  • IDK - never used one before

Votes: 74 67.3%

Top Bottom