Bumblebee fry systematically dying off

Tierney36

Hi All. We seem to have an issue with our bumblebee platy fry failing to grow and systematically dying off.

After having our BumbleBee for almost two months (w/o male contact) she surprised us with a litter of 12 fry. After about a week in a netted breeding box (fry only, never mom) we transferred these BB fry and 12 calico fry (born 5 days later - 2nd litter for Cali) into our smaller baby tank 2.5 gallon tank. Over the next month, we lost every single one of the BB fry, one by one. Often there were warning signs like a pin tail and difficulty swimming, but surprisingly none of the calico fry seemed to be affected. While not 100% correlated the more black coloring on the fry, the sooner it seemed to waste away. BumbleBee has since had her second litter and we've already lost a few.

Any ideas about what is going on? I questioned the water quality or just being moved to the baby tank, but given that the Calico's have thrived I have no idea! Both tanks are cycled.

Main Tank-10 Gallon
3 Female platy: Snow white, Bumblebee, Calico
Cycled. pH 7.4, Amm 0, Nitrite 0, Nitrate 5

Baby Tank - 2.5 Gallon
Assorted platy fry under 2mo old
Cycled. pH 7.4, Amm 0, Nitrite 0, Nitrate 5

Ghelfaire

I think just being moved to the baby tank. Honestly after they are too big to fit in the adults mouths they are safe in the adult tank.

Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Question
  • nick5809
  • Platy
Replies
Views
lobobrandon
  • Question
  • mygerbilprince
  • Platy
Replies