Bumblebee cichlid

vrboyer

My adult cichlid got caught in a hollow log that floated loose. His scales are pretty damaged ..swimming decent, but didn't eat and not acting "right" ... kinda hanging around looking like he has a slight case of bloat (best description) but when goes after another fish he swims ok. Any recommendations?

hampalong

Make sure the water is 'good', maybe half a dose of a bactericide or fungicide in case of secondary infections, and wait. If there's no internal damage it should heal itself.

vrboyer

Thanks! I hope he makes it. I saved him from serious bloat so he's been my favorite since!

Anders247

Welcome to fishlore!
Good luck!

ricmcc

I do agree with hampalong in that cichlids
, especially, seem to be very able to recover very quickly from mechanical injury, likely a result of their lifestyle.
I would start treatment with just pristine water, myself, but do have an antibiotic treatment on hand should you need it: I tend to less treatment when possible, so I am just suggesting this--so long as he seems fine outside of cosmetically, treat with clean water; if he shows signs of decline, broad spectrum antibiotics at once (just my opinion, btw)----best to you, rick

hampalong

ricmcc said:
I do agree with hampalong in that cichlids
, especially, seem to be very able to recover very quickly from mechanical injury, likely a result of their lifestyle.
I would start treatment with just pristine water, myself, but do have an antibiotic treatment on hand should you need it: I tend to less treatment when possible, so I am just suggesting this--so long as he seems fine outside of cosmetically, treat with clean water; if he shows signs of decline, broad spectrum antibiotics at once (just my opinion, btw)----best to you, rick
I agree. I know my water is good, so no need for drugs usually. I advise it in case water isn't so good.

vrboyer

I don't know. He's not swimming much , mostly just hanging out on one side of the tank or the other. Normally active. He's not getting bullied by anyone other than my Parrott occasionally chasing him. He's normally a big eater and he's not eaten tonight.

hampalong

It'll take a few days...

vrboyer

He passed away overnight. I'm so heartbroken.

Castiel*

Sorry to hear! RIP little dude...

Anders247

Sorry for your loss.

Most photos, videos and links are disabled if you are not logged in.

Top Bottom