Bumblebee Catfish

fish 321

I was just wondering If I made a dumb choice of putting a bumblebee catfish on my tank. I started reading that they will try to eat anything that fits in their mouth. I do not think that is good news for my veiltail cherry barb if it is true. I put two small feeder minnows in my tank and in the morning one was gone. I am not exactly sure if my Dalmatian molly ate it or my bumblebee. This got me worrying that it might eat my cherry barb when It gets bigger. If some one could tell me if my cherry barb is safe that would be great.

AquaticJ

That’s true for any kind of Catfish, they will as soon as they can fit it. Highly doubt your Molly ate them.

david1978

Agree. Its a catfish so if it will fit in its mouth and if it catches it it can and will eat it. I really dought the molly ate it. There is a chance but its very slim.

fish 321

Do you think it will grow big enough to try and eat a Australian rainbow.

david1978

If I remember correctly they only average about 3 inches so I don't see the rainbow being a target unless its really hungry. If its kept well fed even the barb may be safe with it.

fish 321

I'll try to keep it fed enough so it possibly does not eat my cherry barb. I have been feeding it brine shrimp for the Last two days since I had just got it and did not have any pellets for it, but I am probably going to get some pellets tomorrow.

chromedome52

There are many species, but the most common are either from Microglanis, which run from 1 inch to about 3 inches. Most common species is M. iheringi, which reaches 3 inches. The other Bumblebee genus is Batrachoglanis, which can run from about 4 inches to 10 inches. Most common Batrachoglanis is B. raninus, which reaches nearly 8 inches.

So make sure you know at least which Genus your Bumblebee cat came from.

fish 321

chromedome52 said:
There are many species, but the most common are either from Microglanis, which run from 1 inch to about 3 inches. Most common species is M. iheringi, which reaches 3 inches. The other Bumblebee genus is Batrachoglanis, which can run from about 4 inches to 10 inches. Most common Batrachoglanis is B. raninus, which reaches nearly 8 inches.

So make sure you know at least which Genus your Bumblebee cat came from.
All I know is that it is from south America. Also the second minnow in my tank disappeared over night.

Latest threads

Top Bottom