Bumblebee Catfish Getting Bigger - Help

cece1ia

HI everyone. So long story short, I was mislead into believing that my 6.5 gallon tank would be okay for 3 South American Catfish back when I was a beginner (this was what they were labeled as at Petco. I didn’t find out that they were microglanis iheringI until recently) because they wouldn’t grow much more if at all. So I bought them, named them, and got attached to them and their different personalities.

Fast forward to now... 2 out of 3 catfish got bigger (I’d say they went from 1.5 inches long to about 1.8 inches) and their appetites increased. For example, one of them has always eaten a lot but he or she went from picking at small pieces of algae wafers and leaving enough for it’s tank mates (I have 2 female platys, 2 zebra danios and 2 male fancy guppies along with the 3 South American bumblebee catfish) to just gulping it all up before the other fish get the chance.

I was trying to see if they’d get any bigger so I did more research and discovered that I should have had 20 gallons per fish! They never seemed to have any issues with my tank so I didn’t really see a problem with it. One of them even claimed a territory that he or she rarely leaves. The others come out often and they don’t bother my other fish.

I don’t want to give the catfish away at all so I’m going to have to get them a new tank if they keep getting bigger. So my question is- how long does it take for the catfish to get big enough to the point where I have to put them in a new tank? Are they really guaranteed to grow even more? I read that they can grow up to 3 inches long as adults. It took 2 months for them to grow up to their current size and now I know that they can live for 3-5 years. And what’s the minimum size tank I can get for the 3 of them? I honestly don’t have room for a big tank but I’ll find a way to make it work if I have to.

Momgoose56

cece1ia said:
HI everyone. So long story short, I was mislead into believing that my 6.5 gallon tank would be okay for 3 South American Catfish back when I was a beginner (this was what they were labeled as at Petco. I didn’t find out that they were microglanis iheringI until recently) because they wouldn’t grow much more if at all. So I bought them, named them, and got attached to them and their different personalities.

Fast forward to now... 2 out of 3 catfish got bigger (I’d say they went from 1.5 inches long to about 1.8 inches) and their appetites increased. For example, one of them has always eaten a lot but he or she went from picking at small pieces of algae wafers and leaving enough for it’s tank mates (I have 2 female platys, 2 zebra danios and 2 male fancy guppies along with the 3 South American bumblebee catfish) to just gulping it all up before the other fish get the chance.

I was trying to see if they’d get any bigger so I did more research and discovered that I should have had 20 gallons per fish! They never seemed to have any issues with my tank so I didn’t really see a problem with it. One of them even claimed a territory that he or she rarely leaves. The others come out often and they don’t bother my other fish.

I don’t want to give the catfish away at all so I’m going to have to get them a new tank if they keep getting bigger. So my question is- how long does it take for the catfish to get big enough to the point where I have to put them in a new tank? Are they really guaranteed to grow even more? I read that they can grow up to 3 inches long as adults. It took 2 months for them to grow up to their current size and now I know that they can live for 3-5 years. And what’s the minimum size tank I can get for the 3 of them? I honestly don’t have room for a big tank but I’ll find a way to make it work if I have to.
If you plan on keeping them, sooner is better. Now would be a good time to start cycling a new tank. Besides, a 6.5 gallon tank is too small for all the fish in there anyway. You probably have gravel, decorations in there? They may all be living in 5 gallons of water. Danios need swimming space, platys shouldn't be kept in less than 10 gallons. A 50 gallon tank would probably do for the catfish and platys but I'd get 4 or 5 more danios in a 50 so they are in a larger group like they prefer.

Random Great Thread

Latest threads

Top Bottom