Bumblebee Catfish compatibility

dboll2

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
would a bbc be compatible with:

6 Zebra Danios
4 Platies...3 babies...which are almost about a half inch in size.....
3 Fancy Guppies
1 Dwarf Gourami
and 2 Mystery Snails

?

I kind of want the bbc in order to prevent any further platy babies from taking up my ability to stock my tank

I don't really want to be a platy breeder...

and I plan to give the grown baby platies to my lfs as soon as they're a but larger in size

ALSO!
would it be possible to add 3 cory catfish to my tank after a while?

phishyitis

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
On Planet Catfish under "suggested tankmates" it says:good with virtually all community fish,although any young fry present will be in extreme jeopardy-especially after dark.And in my experience they will eat neon tetra size fish.....

dboll2

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
would my zebra danios be in jeopardy if I put a bbc in the tank?

phishyitis

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
I think they are too big and fast to get eaten,the south american bb cat only gets to 3"tops so fry and young neons are prob. all you have to worry about.Their temprament is peacefull they are just opportunistic feeders.They are not going to harrass your fish they just will eat fry sized fish.They love frozen brine shrinp and will eat flake,wafers,pellets they are not picky.They are kind of shy and probably will only come out after the lights go out.Just make sure he has a log or cave to claI'm as his own.

Fishman1995

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Is it ok to keep a pair of BBC's?

bassbonediva

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Which type? The Asian variety or the South American variety?

If you're talking the Asian variety, they aren't readily available in the hobby and are territorial and aggressive with their own species and other catfish.

If you're looking at the South American variety, they are more commonly available (I got mine at Walmart of all places). The South American variety is socialable and peacable, even with its own species. Mine is in my 29 gallon and is fine with my cories, albino rainbow shark and otos. He's like a little Hoover vacuum and goes around sucking up everything.

Fishman1995

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
I just bought 2 BBC's today South American variety and they just got into a fight! YES! a fight. One entered the log the other was in and they locked jaws and started swimming in a circle and then the one chased the other out of the log! I thought they were supposed to be nice together not rumble

Toggle Sidebar

New Threads