Bumble goby in community tank, is it possible to only make water slightly brackish so he is more comfortable?

jjfish

Reaction score
I have a 20 gallon long with 1 betta, 1 bumble goby, nad 8 neons along with snails. I heard that bumble gobys live longer in brackish water? Being that I have a community tank is it possible to not have an "all out brackish" tank? I was planning on adding little by little but only reaching, lets say 30% of the "brackish capacity" or something like that?

SM1199

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
While it is absolutely possible to have salinity levels that are not strictly "freshwater," "brackish," or "saltwater," I would not attempt this while you have community fish that certainly will not appreciate the salt. You would be making one fish a little more comfortable while making all of your other fish much less comfortable, if they survive at all. If I were you, I'd try to set up a dedicated brackish tank for the goby, and probably get a few more.

david1978

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I agree your other fish and snails wouldnt like it. Now if you want to do a community brackish tank for the goby you could look into doing guppies, mollies and other fish that can do brackish.

New Threads