Bully

UnknownUser

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
So it appears I have a harlequin rasbora bully :( it’s a black color, and it chases all the other harlequins whenever they move around the tank. THAT’s why they’ve been staying to their one spot in the tank. I’m not really sure what to do. I guess I need to return it but I feel so bad returning fish. But my blue and yellow rasbora is suffering the most from it, he’s hiding behind the filter and visibly stressed. My bully is in QT right now and all 4 of my rasboras are swimming around for the first time. :(

86 ssinit

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Qt should work. Is qt in another tank? How big is your tank and how many fish? Are they the same type of rasbora?

OP
UnknownUser

UnknownUser

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
86 ssinit said:
Qt should work. Is qt in another tank? How big is your tank and how many fish? Are they the same type of rasbora?
QT (since it’s brief) is literally just a container (dedicated to fish) of tank water right now haha. I’m hoping my bully will stop being “top dog” once it’s reintroduced, but I’m not sure that’s how it works in schooling fish. They are all harlequins, two blacks one blue two regular. The tank is at full stock with 5 rasboras (I had 6 but one passed) two bronze corys one guppy one platy.

86 ssinit

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
It has worked for me. Moving for a day or so. Do you have decorations in the tank? Places to break the line of site? How big is the tank?

OP
UnknownUser

UnknownUser

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Well eventually they all went back to their normal spots and chilled, even without the chaser in the tank, so I put him back in. Guess that’s just their behavior

JettsPapa

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
LivebearerMom said:
QT (since it’s brief) is literally just a container (dedicated to fish) of tank water right now haha. I’m hoping my bully will stop being “top dog” once it’s reintroduced, but I’m not sure that’s how it works in schooling fish. They are all harlequins, two blacks one blue two regular. The tank is at full stock with 5 rasboras (I had 6 but one passed) two bronze corys one guppy one platy.
I thought it was unusual to see that kind of variation in a single species of schooling fish. Are you sure they're all the same? Maybe you could post some photos? I'm not very familiar with rasboras, but I'm sure someone else will be able to confirm it.

MacZ

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I'm ALWAYS vary if someone says they have a "bully" in the tank. Most often it's not the fishes fault but their nature to show a certain level of aggression. Even if it's only showing because of wrong conditions in the tank.

OP
UnknownUser

UnknownUser

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
They are are harlequins, they have different color variations. Did my research first, they will all school together (as seen when the lights go out). I’m not sure I should even call it “bullying” which is obviously an aggressive word, it’s chasing. My platy chases my guppy all the time, the guppy chases the rasboras, and this black rasbora chases my other rasboras. It probably is just their usual behavior. As long as it’s not fin nipping and everyone’s eating I probably should stop worrying so much lol

New Threads