Bully Severum

1. Rana Member Member

I have a friend who's been keeping fish for a year or more. He has two tank , one with Oscar and one of 55 gallon which was actually a community tank of some tetras and large danios. He recently moved the danios and got two few months old white Severum. One unfortunately has a little torn tail..it's not fun rot, slight torn in the middle of the tail, and he has some black skirts with them .
    So , those two fishes, one is chasing the another with torn fins, like very slight chasing and nipping on its body or tail and he/ she can't relax properly. Any way this can be stopped? And will the damaged tail fin grow back to normal ?
  2. JesseMoreira06 Well Known Member Member

Get a bigger tank, a single Oscar would require a 75g all to himself at the bare minimum.

A severum would also require a 75g.

a 55g isn't suitable for either fish.

3. Rana Member Member

As I said it's just a baby., 3-4 inches only . He will move them in 125 but for now he's growing them there. Anything can be done about the bullying? And what about the torn fins?will they grow back?
  4. Shadow2331 Member Member

Basically bullying occurs when the space provided for the fishes are not enough and because of less space they become territorial and they start chasing the weak fish (Happens alot with two fishes of same species). can you upload a picture of the tank they are currently in?? torn fins will heal when the fish is in the healthy and stress free environment, if the chasing does not stop there is a high chance for the fish who is being chased to die due to stress and weakness, when fish become weak and stressed different diseases starts to take part in the action.

5. Rana Member Member

Got it , I will get a pic when I go to his home. Thanx for the reply, I will say him to return one , that's a better thing I guess
  6. Shadow2331 Member Member

yes if the situation does not allow to increase the size of the tank or separate them, its better to just return one