Bully Pleco tankmates

swoobat01

Hi,
I recently realized that the bristlenose pleco that I thought was very peaceful is actually quite the bully. He bothers my cories whenever it's feeding time and I've been seeing ripped Cory dorsal fins as a result. I'm pretty attached to this pleco and it looks beautiful so I am probably going to remove the cories rather than than pleco.
So my question is what bottom feeder should I put to replace the cories. It's a 35 gal and leaving the entire substrate for a cranky pleco who's hiding most of the time just doesn't feel right for me. If anyone has any suggestions of a sturdy bottom feeder that can stand up to this pleco that would be great.
Oh and before someone recommends them, I can't have any snails since I am planning on getting some dwarf cichlids which would love to have snails as a snack.
Thank you for your recommendations

Megaanemp

Hi,
I recently realized that the bristlenose pleco that I thought was very peaceful is actually quite the bully. He bothers my cories whenever it's feeding time and I've been seeing ripped Cory dorsal fins as a result. I'm pretty attached to this pleco and it looks beautiful so I am probably going to remove the cories rather than than pleco.
So my question is what bottom feeder should I put to replace the cories. It's a 35 gal and leaving the entire substrate for a cranky pleco who's hiding most of the time just doesn't feel right for me. If anyone has any suggestions of a sturdy bottom feeder that can stand up to this pleco that would be great.
Oh and before someone recommends them, I can't have any snails since I am planning on getting some dwarf cichlids which would love to have snails as a snack.
Thank you for your recommendations
Can you post your current stocking list along with what exactly what your definitely planning on adding? This will help Also how big is this bully Pleco?

Upvote 0

FinalFins

If the pleco is bullying on corydoras, it probably won't appreciate any other bottom dweller or a dwarf cichlid.

Upvote 0

DoubleDutch

Sounds like the BN is hungry. Provide it with some fresh vegs etc....
I have 7 BN's (to be honest females) with about 100 corys in different tanks.
No problems at all.

Upvote 0

swoobat01

Can you post your current stocking list along with what exactly what your definitely planning on adding? This will help Also how big is this bully Pleco?
I have 10 neon
I have 10 neon tetras and I plan on adding a pair of dwarf cichlids and about 8-10 dwarf rainbows. The pleco is about 1.5 or 2 inches

Upvote 0

Megaanemp

W
I have 10 neon

I have 10 neon tetras and I plan on adding a pair of dwarf cichlids and about 8-10 dwarf rainbows. The pleco is about 1.5 or 2 inches
Can I ask what you currently feed the Pleco? Maybe a different food would help if he’s not liking the one he’s eating now? Usually mine is very peaceful until she gets a bit hungry. But it could totally be that yours is just a bit aggressive which in unlikly but not impossible.

Upvote 0

swoobat01

W

Can I ask what you currently feed the Pleco? Maybe a different food would help if he’s not liking the one he’s eating now?
I am feeding the pleco and the cories bottom feeder pellets. I tried algae pellets but he completely ignored them. I know he liked the bottom feeder pellets because every time I put them in the tank he comes out of hiding and charges right to them.

Upvote 0

Megaanemp

I am feeding the pleco and the cories bottom feeder pellets. I tried algae pellets but he completely ignored them. I know he liked the bottom feeder pellets because every time I put them in the tank he comes out of hiding and charges right to them.
The Pleco may not be getting enough vegetable matter to be healthy, adding more to the diet could help. They’re primarily vegetarian. If I where you I’d try feeding Zuchinni to the Pleco a few times a week. I use a spoon to stab it and sink it into the tank, my Pleco loves it. I wonder if this would help with aggression.

Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Question
Replies
Views
LoLiJuBri
Replies
Views
Greengirl87
Replies
Views
YogiBear257