Bully female Gbr

1. A

Ap05 Well Known Member Member

So I have a 20g tank currently with a male swordtails and female gbr. I will be adding 2 or 3 female swords soon and maybe 1 or 2 more rams to see if I can get a pair.

I added 5 julii cories today and she will not leave them alone. She chases them over the tank. Do I need to remove them and put them with my other 5 juliis in my 55?

Also if I do have to relocate them, will it be okay to not have a "cleaning crw" for now? I have 2 BN plecos in my 55. Would getting 1 for the 20g be a good idea?

2. Coradee

Coradee Moderator Moderator Member

Try rearranging the decor in the tank that might help distract her from chasing the corys, if she doesn't then I'd move them.
    Corys will eat food that hits the bottom but they will not clean it of anything else.
    They are 95% carnivores & need their own diet which should include live or frozen bloodworm, daphnia etc & a catfish pellet

3. OP
    OP
    A

I ended up moving the little guys. She kept harassing them no matter what. They seem really happy in their big group of 10 now!

4. Coradee

That's a nice size group, they'll be more than happy :)

5. hampalong

hampalong Fishlore VIP Member

Your Ram is holding out in case a male swims past, in which case the corys would be in the way of them raising a family, so they're not welcome.

Female Swordtails can grow to 6". A 20g is far too small for them. Not to mention the hundreds of fry they will produce. They also need hard water, while Rams need soft water.

6. OP
    OP
    A

I may put the single male sword in my 55g as I'm not really wanting live bearers. I'd love to have a GBR 20g breeding tank

7. Bob Ellis

Bob Ellis Valued Member Member

Everything I have read would indicate 6" is bigger than a female swordtail is expected to get, most sources say females get about 4 - 4.5" fully grown.

I have found fishlore forum advice to err on the most cautious end of the spectrum. It is not incorrect, but the tank size recommendations here float around the higher ends of ranges you will find from all sources.

Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

8. Coradee

Most measurements given are standard length which doesn't include the tail, & sword in this case.
    Imo it's always best to err on the side of caution rather than end up with an over stocked tank & have to rehome fish.
    You also have to remember that most fish you see in Lfs are juveniles & nowhere near adult size, so those cute little fish you bring home won't stay that small, so when giving stocking advice I think most people here think about the eventual size the fish will be & advise accordingly.