Bullied Severum

Discussion in 'Cichlids' started by kdsm0527, Apr 8, 2019.

1. kdsm0527

kdsm0527New MemberMember

so I found this on the web (http://www.fishforums.net/threads/bullied-severum.411143/ ) and I followed the advice. I am on day two of the bully, a beautiful 6x3.5” Severum named Skidz, being in a 10g plant tank by himself due to chasing our other Severum, 4x2.5” silver named Dot. Due to all the bullying Dot hasn’t grown and his tail fin is tattered. All the fish in our big tank, 75g, are pretty happy now and Dot is swimming all over the place. We have 2 blood parrots, 2 skirt tetras, Siamese Algae eater, couple placos, few small catfish sharks, and a cori. I feel so bad for Skidz because he’s not eating well and he just looks so sad. He’s still angry though and tries to get Dot from his tank. I assume severums don’t like to occupy the same space with other Severum? Either that or it’s one of those 1 or 3 or 5 at a time ideals? Any more advice would be welcomed! I need to know what cues to look for before I love Skidz back to the big tank - I don’t want to make it all worse!! I attached a pic of Skidz chasing Dot.

Here is Dot and Skidz.

Attached Files:

2. Nikki2577

Nikki2577Well Known MemberMember

By the looks of the picture you may have a male and female. That could cause fighting if one doesn’t want to breed. The tank is over stocked in my opinion so that could also cause aggression. So the one thing I can answer for sure is my Severums like to be around their own kind but this can be a problem in a smaller tank. Not enough territory for each one to claim their own. Do you have a lot of caves or plants to create different spaces they can claim their own?

3. OP
    OP
    kdsm0527

kdsm0527New MemberMember

We will be adding more plants this week but the parrots have claimed their mushroom house and the sharks have their cave and the little fish swim free. Here is our 75g. The lights just went out. We’d like to upgrade so I can have their tank for my hermits but we are lacking funds right now.

Attached Files:

4. Nikki2577

Some taller plants may help but it looks like you have spaces for each to claim. Do you think they are trying to spawn? Like I said by the pictures it looked like one is a male and one is a female and they will beat each other up if they don’t get what they want. Have you seen the bullying?

5. OP
    OP
    kdsm0527

kdsm0527New MemberMember

It's funny because I always thought Skidz a male and Dot a female. I am not sure about the spawning. Skidz took claim of the front of the tank and would run Dot off if he/she came around and chase Dot around the tank. Sometimes the Parrots would hop in the middle and shove Skidz off. I certainly don't want Skidz hurting Dot, that's why I took Skidz out - boy is he angry with me too, won't eat from the baster or anything anymore :\ He is pretty mad. I even put a small goldfish in there and he won't eat it!

6. Nikki2577

How about you try this.......rearrange your decor and make all new territories and reintroduce skidz to the tank. They may fight a little at first but if it is constant than you may have to keep them separate. If you can get a couple pictures I may be able to tell better which one is male and which one is female. I think it’s kind of strange that skidz isn’t eating, Severums don’t usually sulk like that, but I know many of them don’t like to be alone so that could be why he is acting that way.

Keep me updated on what you do. I am interested to see how this works out.

7. chromedome52

chromedome52Fishlore VIPMember

The smaller one looks like a Heros notatus, and appears to have male facial markings. The larger one looks to be Heros efasciatus, the "common" species of Severum, and the face is too dark for me to see any markings. The long fins are not necessarily an indication of sex, though that and the behavior of the fish would suggest male. IMO, you have a big male of one species of Heros chasing a small male of another species, which is not growing because it is stressed out. I am not certain, but I believe the two species have been hybridized in the aquarium, which could be another complicating factor. However, two males cannot breed, and are never going to get along. The "time out" method of trying to change a bully's behavior never works IME. You will have to rehome one of the two fish.

8. OP
    OP
    kdsm0527

kdsm0527New MemberMember

Here is Skidz.

Attached Files:

9. OP
    OP
    kdsm0527

kdsm0527New MemberMember

Here is Dot.

I posted some pics below of each of them. I can say that my big tank has changed completely without Skidz in it - even the parrots, Peaches & Mango, don’t guard their mushroom anymore. They’re swimming with Dot. As beautiful as Skidz is we may have to rehome him like @chromedome52 said. We gonna give the separation some time and see. Any help is welcome!

My fear is both rejoining him or rehoming him. Skidz is a cool fish with personality but like I said to Nikki my big tank has completely changed without Skidz there. The fish are no longer guarding their space but sharing it ‍♀️

Attached Files:

10. Nikki2577

Chromedome52 knows his stuff so I would say he is most likely correct about what sex your fish are. I also agree that the fins are not the best tool for sexting them. I was told my female was a male for quite awhile. Lol Sometimes the best thing to do is get another tank or you should consider rehoming him. If it is two males and they don’t get along it just won’t work. You won’t have a peaceful tank.

11. OP
    OP
    kdsm0527

kdsm0527New MemberMember

Well Dots tailfin is already healing nicely. I can’t afford a big enough tank for Skidz, nor do I have space in my tiny house for another aquarium. My husband says we are going to have to take him back to the fish store I’m so very sad about this but I guess we can’t keep him. He can’t go back in the big tank and irritate the happiness out of the rest of the fish again. This sucks so bad. Is there a website for fish adoption??

12. Nikki2577

People on here post stuff like that but I think you have to have 50 posts. It would be in buy,sell or trade section. I know how you feel when you say it sucks! I had to give around 250 baby Severums to the LFS an I cried every batch.

13. OP
    OP
    kdsm0527

kdsm0527New MemberMember

well I told me husband I'd rather spend $100 creating skidz a new space than shoving him off to someone else. Hopefully we can keep him

14. Nikki2577

Exactly how I would feel! I hope you can get a tank for him and keep him. Look on Craigslist and places like that for a second hand tank. Good luck and keep us updated!

15. OP
    OP
    kdsm0527

kdsm0527New MemberMember

Well Skids has done a number on my husbands plant tank. That said, we got him a new 37g tank stand kit today at petsmart. Sale. I couldnt part with him. I will put him in it tomorrow evening. I’m hoping it’ll stop him from charging at me and he will forgive me for sticking him in that little tank lol. I will post a pic one I get him in his new home. I’m nuts ya know - spending hundreds for a fish! Eh he’s a pretty awesome fish. So much personality

16. Nikki2577

I am so excited to see pictures of him in his new tank! Hope the move went smooth.

17. OP
    OP
    kdsm0527

kdsm0527New MemberMember

He’s in! I think he’s happy. Now the question is since he’s a bully would there even be a fish he’d get along with?

Attached Files:

18. Nikki2577

He looks good! To be honest I’m not sure what you could put with him since he is abusive. Lol Was he mean to all the other fish or just the Severum? It’s kind of a guessing game because you won’t know until you try it then you will have the same situation all over again if he is mean to whatever fish you put in the tank.

19. OP
    OP
    kdsm0527

kdsm0527New MemberMember

I know-right! I read that severums get along well with parrots and that makes sense since he didn’t really bother our parrots and the parrots used to kick him out of the mushroom house. The bullying was mainly with the other Severum but all the other fish hid before because skidz stayed in the front of the tank.
    Imposter my parrots and dots tail - look how it’s already growing back!

Attached Files:

20. Nikki2577

So cute! I have 4 blood parrots with my Severums and the bps don’t take any bullying. They can’t do much damage because of the deformed mouth but the sure stand up for themselves. You could certainly give one a try and see how it goes. Just make caves and hiding spots because I find my bps really like to claim caves and driftwood. Lol

I am so happy to see they are healing nicely.