Bullied Red Devil

Discussion in 'Red Devil Cichlid' started by Misheldon, Mar 1, 2018.

1. MisheldonNew MemberMember

Hello everyone! I am new here to fishlore, not new to the hobby.
    I had gotten to juvenile red devils About 6 months ago and of course the one that I fell in love with eventually was getting believe by the other to the point that I had to re home 1 of them. Anyway, My point in saying that is that the one that I kept was the 1 getting bullied that I fell in love with.
    Now out of nowhere today I see him hiding again won't come out to even eat! because of my blood parrot that I have had in with him since the beginning( got them a week apart) is chasing him relentlessly.
    My question is why is this red devil even fleeing from this blood parrot, as he is one of them that cannot close his mouth to do any real damage?
    My 2nd question is, is my problem this red devil? Why does it seem he runs from everyone who is aggressive. He is only aggressive towards something significantly smaller like a real bully lol. The way they are acting today it looks like one of them is going to have to be re rehomed.
    Has anyone else had a similar temperment in a red devil?

20180301_112215.jpg20180301_112215.jpg
    This is the extent that the poor thing is hiding.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 3, 2018
  2. McasellaFishlore VIPMember

If the fish is being bullied it needs to be separated from the aggressor, either that means rehoming or setting up a tank for the red devil.

3. MisheldonNew MemberMember

Thank you for answering right away. I Really appreciate it. It looks like I'm going to have to get another large tank as I am attached to both of them but I am thinking that the blood parrot probably needs to go by himself since he is the aggressor would you agree?

4. RonJWell Known MemberMember

How big is the parrot. Try a tank separator first. What is your tank size and stocking?

5. MisheldonNew MemberMember

55 gallon tank The parent is about 4 or 5".

6. Jimmy tatNew MemberMember

Mine 11” red devil

Attached Files:

7. MisheldonNew MemberMember

Wow so pretty! It looks similar to how line might look as he or she grows. He has a lot white Orange nose and lips and Orange tail. How long did it take until you as got that big?

8. Jimmy tatNew MemberMember

I got him on March last year at 6”

Attached Files:

9. MisheldonNew MemberMember

Wow mine doesnt look like yours and mine is about 4 to 5 inches! I got him about 4 months ago. I dont see too much of a nuchal hump forming (yet anyway) so I was thinking possibly I have a female? I guess we will see.. yours is beautiful. How is his temperment and personality?

20180302_224942.jpg

10. Jimmy tatNew MemberMember

He not aggressive much - I have him with 2 females Texas right now - but just few months ago he kill my flowerhorn bigger than him - his nuchal hump still little bit - hop find a female for him later and maybe his nuchal hump will pop out more

You have to vent to know it’s a male or female

Attached Files:

11. Redshark1Fishlore VIPMember

"My question is why is this red devil even fleeing from this blood parrot, as he is one of them that cannot close his mouth to do any real damage? "

Aggression is mental as well as physical.

We can be bullied as humans, yet receive no physical assaults.