Bullied BP

aquaticJunkie98

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I have a question about what to do about one of my blood parrot cichlid. A little back story for understanding is I have a 75 gallon tank not planted but I have plenty of cool hiding places so far I have 2 blood parrots and 1 convict in the tank. The convict used to bully the smaller parrot so I pulled him out and quarantined him, noticed he was ill and aided him back to healthiness. I figured he was being picked on because the illness made him weak. but now since adding him back to the 75 gal the other 2 fish literally gangs up on him and he hides all day scared to come out for meal time. I have a quarantine tank with another convict in it so I don’t want to remove the smaller parrot cus the quarantine tank is way to small for him to call home; it’s just a temporary thing. He tried to stand up for himself a couple of days but now he just runs off. As he grows to a bigger size will this change? Or does he just need to get comfortable with the tank and this will shortly change? I’m worried about his nutrition and growing if he still continues hide during meal time.

FitSoldier

Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Do you notice any damage to the Blood Parrot? Does that Blood Parrot come out to eat/have trouble competing for food?

Cichlids aggression is quite normal in my opinion. Fish being picked on and hiding in between rock work happens often in my tank. They might even lose colour for a bit. But as long as they don't display illness, physical damage, and have no problems eating, I wouldn't worry about it.

New fish similar sized to the established tank rulers get picked on the most compared to smaller fish as they are more of a threat to them. Prison hierarchy almost. :p

OP
aquaticJunkie98

aquaticJunkie98

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
He’s healthy, I haven’t noticed any physical damage thus far. He doesn’t really come out for food he eats the food near his hiding area. When he does try to compete for food the other fish just run him off.

AngryRainbow

Well Known
Reaction score
I believe blood parrots and convicts can hybridize, perhaps the two are showing breeding aggression?

Are the convict and bullied bp both male? Is the other bp female?

OP
aquaticJunkie98

aquaticJunkie98

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I think the convicts are female and the BPs are male.

FitSoldier

Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Blood Parrots are very difficult to sex. I would give it a few more days for the new Blood Parrot to adjust. As I've mentioned in another thread, one of my fish hid and didn't eat for almost a month when he was first introduced in my tank. If the bullied Blood Parrot even just gets a bite of food during feeding time, he should be fine.

New Threads