Bullied astatotilapia aeneocolor. Should I pull him out today? Help

Discussion in 'African Cichlids' started by Emily Caldwell, Jul 13, 2015.

1. Emily CaldwellValued MemberMember

I posted this on cichlid-forum as well. I'm trying to get as much advice as quickly as possible.

I am a novice African Cichlid keeper with a tank that is admittedly too small. The set up is at my office. My bosses really wanted a vibrant, colorful tank and they wanted it in a 46 gallon bowfront so I'm trying to make that work. It's been going ok but this tank is a mix of Malawi Mbuna and a few Lake Victoria haps, and everyone is bullying the aeneocolor. I'm very concerned he won't make it if I don't pull him today. I have a tank I can use for a hospital/QT tank but it's not set up. I have some pool filter sand I can put in there for substrate. I will need to get a heater and a sponge filter but I should be able to pull that off.

Here are my questions: I don't have a lid for the QT tank yet. Will he be ok in there with no lid if I don't fill it all the way? Also, the QT tank is obviously not cycled. Will it be ok to put him in there? It's a 20 gallon and he's a 2 inch fish, so I don't feel like the ammonia will spike too bad if I'm doing a lot of water changes. Should I pull him out today and look for a place for him to go? Or should I look for a place for him to go right now and if I can find one just pull him and bring him there? I'm worried about putting him into an established tank. He's a beat up juvenile fish.

Help! I don't want him to suffer and die. What can I do today?

(Yes I have learned my lesson. Next time I do an African Cichlid set-up I will have a fully cycled QT/hospital tank ready to go before any fish go in the main tank. Live and learn.)

2. LeoDiazFishlore VIPMember

Ok the real lesson is to not mix mbunas with victorians. What you can do is get a breeder net put the juvi in the same tank but seperate i will rehome the victorians or the mbunas so you dont have issues in the future.

3. Emily CaldwellValued MemberMember

Yeah, I'm starting to think maybe there is something to this whole "don't mix lakes" thing. Not that it can't be done, but just that it's easier and less stressful to keep each tank to one lake only. It's funny though, the top fish in the tank is actually a Victoria. He puts all these mbunas in their places.

4. LeoDiazFishlore VIPMember

Let me bring one of my mbunas over he will make your victorian jump out of the tank. Lol in all seriousness thats why your not suppose to mix them for a reason, so are you going for a mbuna or victorian tank?

5. Emily CaldwellValued MemberMember

Well they are mostly mbuna and the tank is rockscaped with caves so I am thinking stick with mbuna. The other 3 Victorias seem ok for now, I just need to pull that aeneocolor today. Will he be ok in a tank with no lid?

6. LeoDiazFishlore VIPMember

Im not sure but he might try to jump will put some temporary cover just in case. And i would rehome the victorians as soon as possible.

7. Emily CaldwellValued MemberMember

Well he was going downhill fast so I pulled him. I threw that QT tank together in 2 hours and that includes the drive time to PetSmart and LFS for emergency supplies. I'm concerned the stress from everything plus the change in pH might kill him, but at least I pulled him out of there so if he has to die he can die more peacefully :( He is my favorite fish of them all. He really seems to have to a will to live. I hope he makes it, but at least I did something to help him. I couldn't stand to sit here and watch them pick at him.

8. LeoDiazFishlore VIPMember

Thats what happens in incorrect african cichlid tank, hope your little guy gets betters. GL

9. Emily CaldwellValued MemberMember

OK, in my defense, there is little agreement on what constitutes a "correct" African Cichlid tank. I spent months researching on my own and getting opinions from experienced Cichlid keepers and I got so much conflicting advice. I finally got overwhelmed and contacted a retailer who has fantastic reviews, told him what I wanted the tank to look like, asked him for his stocking recommendations and then bought what he recommended. I didn't just throw some fish into a tank and hope for the best. Even in a "correctly" stocked all-male tank, aggression happens and fish have to be removed. I have definitely learned from this, but from everything I have read, stocking a tank with rift lake cichlids (especially all males) is a process of trial and error. Hopefully my little aeneocolor doesn't have to die because of the errors...but I'm doing my best.

10. LeoDiazFishlore VIPMember

But if correctly done you wont have that many issues. You will alway have a fight or 2 in all male tank there not just called agressive fish for the fun of it. If you want a all male tank you get all mbunas of similar temperment but differents colors. And provide alot hiding spots.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice