bulge in yellow lab mouth, could it be eggs?

Discussion in 'African Cichlids' started by TheBiggVan, Dec 26, 2012.

1. T

TheBiggVan New Member Member

I hav a yellow lab thas now keeps hiding behind my filter. It has a buldge in its mouth and i know they r mouth brooders i just didnt think i had the right tank conditions. What i wanted to know is could it be eggs and if so are they fertilized?

Also how long would they take to hatch and would she keep them in her mouth for?

IMG_20121226_131625.jpg IMG_20121226_131622.jpg

This is how my tank looks now
    [video]http://m.youtube.com/user/mrvangw#/watch?v=n4Gs17mXotA[/video]

Attached Files:

2. RogueAgent94

RogueAgent94 Fishlore VIP Member

Hi,

Looks like she is holding eggs or fry! Congrats ;). They will have been fertilized before she picked them up. I rarely worry about my Mbuna not having fertilized eggs. She will keep the eggs/fry in her mouth for a couple of weeks until they are ready to survive on their own. If you want, you can strip her of her fry after two weeks of holding. But I suggest not doing that because it is more fun to watch the mother care for the fry. It would be best if you separated her from the main group of fish. If you can set up a small breeding/growout tank for the fry and then keep the mom in there until she drop them, that would be best.

3. A

AlexAlex Well Known Member Member

Mbuna Babies! YAY!

4. OP
    OP
    T

would i beable to put her in a tank with some convict fry. the con fry are a little under half an inch. or would the fry be safe with the mother in the big tank? could i get one of those small breeder boxes to hang on the side?

5. RogueAgent94

Hi,

It would be best not to put her with the Convict fry. Convicts are notorious fin nippers at a young age. I don't like them much haha. If you don't have a separate tank then I'd just leave the mother in the tank. Putting her in a breeding box would stress her out really badly. If you don't already have a bunch of rocks, caves, and tunnels then I suggest adding some to your tank. The mother should be alright and the strongest fry will probably survive. Mbuna fry are annoyingly adept at surviving in adult tanks.

6. OP
    OP
    T

Ok. Theres a video in the original post. Could u look at it and c if this is ok for her

7. RogueAgent94

I can't go through the link. It takes me to a page with a list of videos that I can't open. Perhaps try again with a different link?

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice