Bulbs overheating water?

hcroark

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
I just put two new bulbs made for an aquarium in my 10 gallon hood. They are 25 watts each (instructions said that was the maximum wattage to use). It heats my 76 degree water to about 81-82. That can't be normal. Do I need to just downgrade watts?

featherblue

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Isthere glass between the bulbs and water?

skjl47

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Hello; If the bulbs are the incandescent type they get hot. There is a tungsten filament that is resistant to current flow and this causes it to get very hot. This filament throws off a lot of energy, some in the form of visible light and much of it radiates as heat. 50 watts on a ten gallon can and has made 10 gallon tanks too warm for me. A glass between the bulbs and the tank can help some, but some of the energy will still get thru.
In the past I used smaller wattage bulbs or only one 25 watt. This did help some.

When the compact fluorescent bulbs (CFL's) became available I modified a couple of my old hoods to accept them. The first CFL's were fairly large and did not fit into the old hoods well. I got them to fit. An issue I ran into was that the CFL's are very sensitive to moisture and some failed. This was cured by placing a substantial glass barrier between the water and the bulbs.

The CFL's available now are offered in much smaller sizes and do fit much better and likely without any modifications to the hood. I also believe that they are available in types for outdoor use that may be more moisture resistant.

The CFL's will give enough light and throw off much less heat. They also consume less electricity. I happen to like the color of the natural or daylight bulbs better than the cool white. These also have grown plants well for me if that is an issue. The daylight bulbs are in the frequency range of around 6500k.

Good luck

tunastrack

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
skj has covered this very well for you. I just wanted to add, that as much as I love a well lit tank, I just insert one 25watt bulb on my 10 gal and it has eliminated the over heating problem for me. So this could be all that ya need to do.

hcroark

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Thanks so much. I took one bulb out and that took care of it.

Toggle Sidebar

New Threads