Bulbs and vals.

Discussion in 'Aquarium Plants' started by MatthewM, Jul 26, 2015.

1. MatthewM

MatthewM Valued Member Member

My Madagascar lace is growing at a fantastic rate. It started as a bulb with nothing, now look at it! ImageUploadedByFish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum1437938505.475205.jpg ImageUploadedByFish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum1437938527.556477.jpg
    My question is, does it need to be planted... It always seem to get dug up :/ so i just left it and it seems fine...my large common pleco was rehomed and he was the main culprit so i may re plant it. But if it keeps getting dug up, can i just leave it? Or does it need to be in the sand with the root tabs.
    And onto the vals. ImageUploadedByFish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum1437938628.789686.jpg
    All my valls are doing this. It seems a bit more than just some movement melting...how can i save them? If i can...

2. BDpups

BDpups Well Known Member Member

Do you use Excel in your tank?

I'd plant the lace. But not planting it won't hurt.

3. OP
    OP
    MatthewM

Excel, flourish, iron, potassium, root tabs. I did start excel slowly so the vals could adjust. But i dont think it worked...

4. BDpups

It won't always work with simple plants like vals. Stop using it, or don't keep the vals. And I edited my last post, but you can plant the lace or leave it. It won't matter.

Last edited: Jul 26, 2015
  5. Beeker

Beeker Well Known Member Member

If you are using all of that, you might be killing them with kindness.
    Try stopping all of that and let your fish naturally fertilize your tank for a while.

6. OP
    OP
    MatthewM

I use flourish once a week. And potassium and iron two to three times, and excel every other. But i'll try that. How long should i stop for?

What are cheap, nice plants that are easy to keep? I noticed my amazon sword is thriving. What are some plants like that? If anyone knows

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 27, 2015
  7. Beeker

Stop until you see something change in the plants. It could take a couple of weeks or even a month. Keep an eye on them and report back. Too much love can be worse than neglect with plants.

8. BDpups

If all your other plants are doing fine, I wouldn't change anything except for cutting out the Excel if you want to keep the val.

9. OP
    OP
    MatthewM

Alright. Thanks guys

10. Beeker

Vals a pretty easy. They don't need a ton of ferts. Other easy plants are Anubias, Java Fern and Wisteria. Those are the old faithfuls in my tank. Amazon Sword is a monster. I'm glad you have a 75 gallon tank, because those plants take over. When I finally decided to take it out of my 20 gallon, instead of fighting a losing battle with constantly cutting it back, it almost took the whole bottom of the tank with it.
    If you have one of those, just put a root tab near it and hold off with the rest of the ferts.

11. BDpups

It depends on if you want to cintinue to use Excel or not.

Wisteria and anubias would work. And cyperus that looks like vals.

Java ferns and crypts would also work. But can be like vals when it comes to Excel. So be prepared if you get some and use Excel, it may take some time for them to thrive. And it may melt them away.

12. OP
    OP
    MatthewM

I had an anubias, and i killed it, lol. I was told to plant it. Anndddd that didnt end well. So no more anubias nana. I have a plant list if my current set up if it helps. ImageUploadedByFish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum1437966720.690983.jpg

13. Dom90

Dom90 Fishlore VIP Member

How did you kill the anubias? Did you have the rhizome below the substrate?

Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

14. OP
    OP
    MatthewM

Yeah...i was told it was supposed to be planted that way... Then the base rotted out. Now i know not too. Shame, i thought it was a cool plant.

15. Beeker

I'm sorry about your anubias. I did that too when I first started. They are great plants, though. I'll never go without them. Mine have been blooming a lot lately and the fish love hiding under the leaves or resting on top of them.
    Give it another try. Don't bury the rhizome. Just rest it on top of the substrate or tie it gently to an ornament. The plant will send out roots that will dig into the substrate on their own and the plant will do great. The rhizome just needs to be on top of the substrate.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice