Built your own tank? Question

Discussion in 'Freshwater Tank Equipment' started by 77Impala, Jul 31, 2014.

1. 77Impala

77ImpalaWell Known MemberMember

I was wondering how many here have custom built a fish tank? And what all was involved? What was used for the frame?

After moving my ADF family from their 10 gallon to 20 gallon long I am debating on building a custom ADF tank that would be 60 long, 18 wide and 10 high (approximate 46.75 gallons).

2. Flowingfins

FlowingfinsFishlore VIPMember

My dad custom built my 100 gal. It's acrylic with a glass top. He said he used acrylic sealant and had a guy he knows cut all the pieces. He also said he spent 3 hrs a day for a month sanding it down. I don't know much about building tanks this is all what my dad told me. ImageUploadedByFish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum1406863237.644747.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

3. FiscCyning

FiscCyningValued MemberMember

Is there a reason you need that specific size? Unless you absolutely need those exact measurements it will and up being much cheaper to just buy a tank. I've only built a small tank because I got the glass for free, but having to buy glass or acrylic ends up being more expensive than the preassembled tank if you can find an acceptable standard size.

If you do build your own tank you will need 100% silicone (no mold/mildew resistant kinds), glass, a glass cutter, something to sand sharp edges, and preferably a caulking gun for evenly applying the silicone. Mine was frameless, so just the silicone holding it together. I taped the pieces while I was assembling and while it was curing.

4. OP
    OP
    77Impala

77ImpalaWell Known MemberMember

For height is why a custom tank. My frogs are in a 12 inch high tank but would do better in a 10 inch shallow tank. And a 40 Long is 18 high.

Sent from my XT1080 using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum mobile app

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice