10 Gallon Tank Built in filter has a heater compartment... that doesn't fit a heater

ninetyinone

I recently purchased a 10 gallon tank with a built in filter compartment, which has a narrow rectangular compartment that is the perfect space for a heater... except it measures max 8.5 inch with the lid on. All the heaters I can find that are suitable for a 10 gallon are at least 9 inches. I have the aqua one 55w, and the temp adjuster dial is the only thing that doesn't fit.

Any recommendations? Do I just hack a square off the filter lid? It's a thin rectangular piece of plastic that just 'clicks' on. Would this interfere with water flow through the filter itself? Do I just have to live with a chunky heater in a small tank and a waste of space compartment inside the filter? I could cut a piece of sponge and put it in there.

Tank is not stocked, just planted.

Betta'sAnonymous

ninetyinone said:
I recently purchased a 10 gallon tank with a built in filter compartment, which has a narrow rectangular compartment that is the perfect space for a heater... except it measures max 8.5 inch with the lid on. All the heaters I can find that are suitable for a 10 gallon are at least 9 inches. I have the aqua one 55w, and the temp adjuster dial is the only thing that doesn't fit.

Any recommendations? Do I just hack a square off the filter lid? It's a thin rectangular piece of plastic that just 'clicks' on. Would this interfere with water flow through the filter itself? Do I just have to live with a chunky heater in a small tank and a waste of space compartment inside the filter? I could cut a piece of sponge and put it in there.

Tank is not stocked, just planted.
Aqueon makes some preset heaters that are pretty small, like about 5 inches long or so.

Bloodfeather

Betta'sAnonymous said:
Aqueon makes some preset heaters that are pretty small, like about 5 inches long or so.
Be careful with these, though! Aqueon isn't always a reliable brand, and I have not had good luck with their presets. They always tend to either heat too much or too little, and die very quick.

Just saying so that you can be aware!

ninetyinone

Ahh. I'm in Australia, I had a look and import fees are kind of ridiculous. Otherwise that would've been perfect.

Following your advice I had another look for different brands, ordered another heater than is bang on 8.5 inches... hope this works out.

Betta'sAnonymous

ninetyinone said:
Ahh. I'm in Australia, I had a look and import fees are kind of ridiculous. Otherwise that would've been perfect.

Following your advice I had another look, ordered another heater than is bang on 8.5 inches... hope this works out.
I have never actually even heard of a filter with a compartment for a heater. If you are in australia, that may be why.

ninetyinone

I can take a picture for you when I get back if you're curious haha. It's weirdly partitioned to make it hard to customise and make you want to buy their weirdly shaped filter cartridges instead. But the person I got it from was lovely and had fish in there for a year without issues so hoping the same goes for me.

ninetyinone

Bloodfeather said:
Be careful with these, though! Aqueon isn't always a reliable brand, and I have not had good luck with their presets. They always tend to either heat too much or too little, and die very quick.

Just saying so that you can be aware!
My notifications got mixed up and I didn't see this! Thanks for the warning, I've heard this about preset heaters so yeah my first instinct is to head away from them if I have the option. I've got a glass thermometer on all my tanks and check the temp pretty much every day as well.

Betta'sAnonymous

ninetyinone said:
I can take a picture for you when I get back if you're curious haha. It's weirdly partitioned to make it hard to customise and make you want to buy their weirdly shaped filter cartridges instead. But the person I got it from was lovely and had fish in there for a year without issues so hoping the same goes for me.
I am a curious party for sure!

Bloodfeather

ninetyinone said:
My notifications got mixed up and I didn't see this! Thanks for the warning, I've heard this about preset heaters so yeah my first instinct is to head away from them if I have the option. I've got a glass thermometer on all my tanks and check the temp pretty much every day as well.
Oh no worries!! And of course, don't want you to run into trouble

ninetyinone

Flyfisha

Hi ninetyinone,
Small heaters are a available in Oz just not in every chain store.
Petstock has this one.
You may have to go to a mum and dad old school aquarium shop?

Your 10 gallon/ 37 litre tank will need a 37 watt or bigger heater. A 50 watt would be fin.

I can’t think of the brand name I was thinking of?

ninetyinone

Flyfisha said:
Hi ninetyinone,
Small heaters are a available in Oz just not in every chain store.
Petstock has this one.
You may have to go to a mum and dad old school aquarium shop?

Your 10 gallon/ 37 litre tank will need a 37 watt or bigger heater. A 50 watt would be fin.

I can’t think of the brand name I was thinking of?
Yep, I've already ordered a 100W marina heater! It says that it's 8.5 inches so if it's exactly that it should fit, here's hoping. I know the 50w is rated for 37 litre, but my tank is 'technically' 40L so I went with the 100W. Some people also say that going up one heater rating might help the heater last for longer so that also made me want to go 100W, and Marina doesn't make a 75W as far as I can see?

If it doesn't fit.... well then I guess I'll just be working on my heater collection haha

Most photos, videos and links are disabled if you are not logged in.

Top Bottom