Building your own tank

Discussion in 'DIY - Do It Yourself' started by Wetzel, Apr 7, 2010.

1. Wetzel

Wetzel New Member Member

I'm a home remodeler so I am pretty handy and am thinking of trying to build an aquarium. Any body got plans for one or any Ideas of the best way to go about it?

2. A

Ay1a Valued Member Member

My father and myself were actually considering doing this before I decided I'd rather buy a pre-made because it seemed like something we could do, you can try the website I linked or Google "Building your own acrylic aquarium" and you should be able to find tons of results.

3. w

w_boughner Valued Member Member

what size you thinking and type in wall,corner,middle of the room, on stand,ground up 2,3,400 gl exc/and what kind of finish all glass exposed ,stone vinere exc some thing you can take if you move or permanant i could draw up a couple things if i know what you want

4. OP
    OP
    Wetzel

Wetzel New Member Member

want to do atleast a 150g maybe 200g. Wife won't let me build in to wall like I want to so what do you recommend

If I was building into wall I'd do 500+ gallons

5. w

w_boughner Valued Member Member

do you want permanant or moveable

6. ldbrown3138

ldbrown3138 Valued Member Member

Are you planning to build with plywood and glass? All glass? Acrylic? or possibly some other material.

7. OP
    OP
    Wetzel

Wetzel New Member Member

Thinking glass with oak reinforcement borders to help hold it together and give stability so that it will be movable if needed. Ithink that answers both questions.

metal banding underneath the oak

Last edited: Apr 7, 2010
  8. cm11599ps

cm11599ps Well Known Member Member

Depending on what size you want, it can be more expensive. Smaller tanks are best bought in the store. Larger are custom sized tanks may be cheaper to make yourself.

Here's some info for you.  

9. taffy

taffy New Member Member

hi, that site is a very usful site to have thanks for posting it (taffy):;hf

10. k

kipkapst7 New Member Member

Even I checked out that site, I am exctied to what I could build. We had a 10g saltwater, 2 days in i changed it over to a 23 g..... now we want bigger.... we thought maybe 55g, theres a awesome deal on one downtown... but maybe ill build my own and huge.. in the wall....sweet!!!!!

11. D

DoublexL New Member Member

yes, definitely check out garf.org, it has a ton of resources and can be a great help

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice