Building underground Jets

outlaw
There was talk about doing this. I didn't see anybody post that they actually built it so I thought I would, plus I want to try and keep the poo off the bottom of the tank and would need to add this in before adding more rocks to the bottom.

What you need:
1.PVC Pipe (I went with 10' x 1/2"dia., it was the smallest they sold and 1.19 for the whole 10' length).. had it cut in half to fit in my car.
2.Connectors
A.90* corner ($.90ea)
B.45* bend ($.25ea)
C. T connector ($.24ea)
D. female to male 90* (for my power head, yours may vary)
3. Power head of your choice (make sure it is powerful enough)
4. PVC Pip Cutter ($11)

Total Cost at this point: $17.90 (estimated, couldn't remember exact cost of items). I need a few more pieces.

I am choosing not to glue the tubing together to give me options down the road for expansion to a bigger tank or if this doesn't seem to work as planned. Plus you don't have to worry about any glue toxins getting into the tank.

I currently have 250GPH power head that I tried on this setup and it is not nearly enough to push anything out the furthest hole. I do still need to make the "nozzle" which should help with the pressure in the pipe.

Parts and Tool

92.jpg

Top View

93.jpg

Front View

94.jpg

Power Head Spec

95.jpg

How the tank looks now

96.jpg

outlaw
More pictures to come.

After making the nozzles and buying a HUGE pump (1340GPH), lol We (kids and me) set it up in the tub... one of my daughters was hanging over it and I turned it on, needless to say she got a shower. lol I put the 250GPH pump back on (with nozzles) and it works. I think it could still use a little bit more powerful pump, just 1000+ was too high (I thought it had a flow-control on it as the model below it did; 700GPH). The piping is all setup and functional in the tank. I was up until 2am finishing it, started it about 8pm yesterday.

Also, I think I took a picture of it. I added another nozzle to cover some dead space. Now there is a total of 6 sprayers. Hopefully this is informational.

GreenMan13
what if you connect the ends to make a loop instead of a T coming out of the pump. that might help with making it more uniform pressure.

outlaw
I didn't think of that.. I would still need a T though to have the pump enter the loop. unless that is what you mean. I could see how that should equal out the pressure though... maybe next cleaning.. I probably ****ed off the fish enough for 1 day, lol Thanks for the tip and hopefully I won't need more pipe. Don't know what I would do with 9ft of 1/2 pipe. lol

GreenMan13
I guess I didn't explain well enough. The pump would output to a pipe and that pipe would then split and go in a loop so it would be like a "P" shape or "Q" shape. I think the Q is the closest.

outlaw
I am at work too, I will blame that . We'll have to see what happens next cleaning. I will get the pics posted tonight of the setup after and some of the test with the 1340GPH pump. lol

Thanks again.

outlaw
1350GPH

120.jpg

VS.

250GPH

121.jpg

One of the jets close-up.

122.jpg

Tank finished

123.jpg

Tank after clearing up

124.jpg

Was able to get a clear shot of the Yellow Lab too.

GreenMan13
looks good

outlaw
Thanks. The only problem I see now is going to be moving it. We (I) am looking at larger apt's for us and don't think I want to move this when the time comes.

Thanks again.

outlaw
**UPDATE**

I was hoping this would work when I was building it and buying the parts. Guess what? It does actually work!

When I would stir the gravel before it would turn the water a murky brown color.

Now, when I did it last night, it turned a slight white from the stones I have in it.

I have to say that this looks like a success.

sirdarksol
Awesome news!

outlaw
Indeed lol

I changed it up to only use 2 "jets" and a 250GPH pump. Seems to be more then effective in the 46Gal bow front. Would recommend for a DIY that doesn't like to vacuum often (like myself).

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
matsungit
Replies
Views
djdover
Replies
Views
WolfaraRose
Replies
Views