Building a water feature for my fam

sslliitthheerr

my parents recently asked me to build them a fish worthy pond, but I am not too familiar with ponds and could use some advice on how to build one

PeterFishKeepin

Firstly, what is the future stocking of this pond? How big of a space do you have? What is the temperature of this area? Where do you plan on putting the pond? Near electrical outlets? Are you going to cover pond from birds and leaves?

A lot of things to consider, i would decide what fish you want and how large of a pond are a physically and financially able to make?

If your wanting goldfish which is an easy pond fish then the minimum pond size would be around 150gal but i would recommend something of 500gals or more so you can have a nice number of fish.

Are you going to use liner for this pond? A pre made pond? A pool pond? A dam or natural pond type thing?? Concrete liner?

So decide on a fish species, the size this pond can be then what is the size requirements of the fish you want?

When you respond with these things considered it will be much easier to guide you.

Personally if the family is asking for a fish worthy pond they most likely arent interested in seening tiny minnows and guppies swimming around they wanna see some colourful and kinda big. Goldes can get 12+inches so that should please them. You could go into a cichlid pond but it really does depend on the stocking and size pond you want to get.

Have a think and then let me know what you planning on doing,

Best of luck :)
Peter

Edit: here some photos of my 850gal goldfish pond.

Attachments

• IMG_0069.JPG
    IMG_0069.JPG
    306.9 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_0074.JPG
    IMG_0074.JPG
    404.4 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_0081.JPG
    IMG_0081.JPG
    317 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_0088.JPG
    IMG_0088.JPG
    327.2 KB · Views: 16

StarGirl

Firstly, what is the future stocking of this pond? How big of a space do you have? What is the temperature of this area? Where do you plan on putting the pond? Near electrical outlets? Are you going to cover pond from birds and leaves?

A lot of things to consider, i would decide what fish you want and how large of a pond are a physically and financially able to make?

If your wanting goldfish which is an easy pond fish then the minimum pond size would be around 150gal but i would recommend something of 500gals or more so you can have a nice number of fish.

Are you going to use liner for this pond? A pre made pond? A pool pond? A dam or natural pond type thing?? Concrete liner?

So decide on a fish species, the size this pond can be then what is the size requirements of the fish you want?

When you respond with these things considered it will be much easier to guide you.

Personally if the family is asking for a fish worthy pond they most likely arent interested in seening tiny minnows and guppies swimming around they wanna see some colourful and kinda big. Goldes can get 12+inches so that should please them. You could go into a cichlid pond but it really does depend on the stocking and size pond you want to get.

Peter

Nice pond!

sslliitthheerr

Peter

honestly my mom wants 3 koi but I don't think she can tell the difference between koi and goldfish and my dad wants a small schooling fish that will do well in the winter in new York but if it comes to it I am willing to shell out the extra money for a molded pond for the basement to keep them in the winter I am looking to do a 20 by 25 liner for this pond and my mom wants it about 2.5 to 3 feet deep. I am going for an aqua block design with only one for the aesthetic with 2 filtered waterfalls one powered directly from the water source and one from the aqua block source. I don't really know how to fit a heater for a pond so I would need to learn how to do that and yeah, I think that is about it and otherwise I need a LOT of guidance

PeterFishKeepin

Ok well IMO koi need minimum 800-1000gallons, so you might wanna consider getting a pond liner that is big enough for around 500+gallons, in this size pond you could do 8-12 comet goldfish or mix some shubikin goldfish with them which will look like koi but not get way too big. As for schooling fish depending on the temps you could do a large school of white cloud minnows and or maybe leopard danios?

I would suggest over the next while till the pond is setup you should collect all the pest snails for your fish tanks which will be a good source of food for goldfish and also help with pond algaes.

If your doing a pond:
25x20x2.5 feet that would be 10,165 USGallons

Or

7.6x6.1x0.83 meters that would be 38,478 litres

So with a pond that large you could have goldfish or koi, with koi you could easily have a dozen koi but that pond would be super large are you sure your ready too go that big?

Perhaps consider a 1000 gal pond and see how that goes for you

sslliitthheerr

Ok well IMO koi need minimum 800-1000gallons, so you might wanna consider getting a pond liner that is big enough for around 500+gallons, in this size pond you could do 8-12 comet goldfish or mix some shubikin goldfish with them which will look like koi but not get way too big. As for schooling fish depending on the temps you could do a large school of white cloud minnows and or maybe leopard danios?

I would suggest over the next while till the pond is setup you should collect all the pest snails for your fish tanks which will be a good source of food for goldfish and also help with pond algaes.

If your doing a pond:

Or

So with a pond that large you could have goldfish or koi, with koi you could easily have a dozen koi but that pond would be super large are you sure your ready too go that big?

well I am buying a liner that is 20x25 and then I am measuring from there for a custom shape. thankfully my parents have allowed a minor a 600$ budget. probably because they have wanted this for years but I am grateful either way. it will prabably end up more like 15 by by 10 by 3 and that is 3366 gal

If your doing a pond:

Or

also, I have a lot of free time because I am homeschooled so I would have ample time to take care of the tank

PeterFishKeepin

Ok well in that case, being 3000gal plus you could have I would say 3-4 koi max, then 12 -15 goldfish and some white cloud minnows

sslliitthheerr

Ok well in that case, being 3000gal plus you could have I would say 3-4 koi max, then 12 -15 goldfish and some white cloud minnows
my only problem is I cannot accommodate that many fish in the winter and with my budget i dont know if i could afford the heater and I don't know how to install one

Flyfisha

Welcome

I suggest you cut out some paper or fabric 20 inches by 25 inches.
You will soon see in order to get 3 feet deep and 1 foot of spare that gets cut off after filling to whole you dig can only be a certain size. The issue is in the corners where the fabric / pond liner is folded over .

I would think something that looks like kio is what your mother was after?

sslliitthheerr

Welcome

I suggest you cut out some paper or fabric 20 inches by 25 inches.
You will soon see in order to get 3 feet deep and 1 foot of spare that gets cut off after filling to whole you dig can only be a certain size. The issue is in the corners where the fabric / pond liner is folded over .

I would think something that looks like kio is what your mother was after?
well i was thinking to acomadate for that i would find a liner with a couple extra feet

in my gal calculator I accidentally added one to many zeros and I now need 10 000 000 gallons of water by my very precise calculations

PeterFishKeepin

Um just to let you know goldfish and koi can survive well below -20C as long as there is a hole for air flow if the pond freezes over. Therefore you will not need to bring the koi and goldfish inside but perhaps the mountain cloud minnows if you do add them, also never add fish to a pond in winter best to add in summer and spring due to temperatures

sslliitthheerr

Um just to let you know goldfish and koi can survive well below -20C as long as there is a hole for air flow if the pond freezes over. Therefore you will not need to bring the koi and goldfish inside but perhaps the mountain cloud minnows if you do add them, also never add fish to a pond in winter best to add in summer and spring due to temperatures

yes i would be adding fish next year but if i have the extra money what is a cheap one you recommend

PeterFishKeepin

Goldfish much cheaper, in 3000gal you could get around 40-50 goldies

If the minnows are expense for you them skip them till next year. Koi can cost hundreds of dollars for fancy ones or you can buy a low range koi for under 30-50$

SparkyJones

lets not reinvent the wheel. this is like 1600 US gallons by the dims of it if completely full. might not be the best or permanent, but its movable. and cheaper than building one and it's gotta be easier than digging it yourself. worst case get a thick pond liner for the insideif worried abotu a puncture from there, and block it off on the outside.
https://www.amazon.com/Summer-Waves...pcontext&ref_=fplfs&psc=1&smid=A33MPMNFYVPZGM
I dunno. cheapest option I found to have a pond easy. there's more expensive and fancier options

this is much more expensive a bit nicer and less "pool like" and 900 gallons, also it's movable, you could set it up in a basement even less risk of punctures.

https://www.amazon.com/BOSWELL-Aqua...ocphy=1015176&hvtargid=pla-1441978457504&th=1

sslliitthheerr

lets not reinvent the wheel. this is like 1600 US gallons by the dims of it if completely full. might not be the best or permanent, but its movable. and cheaper than building one and it's gotta be easier than digging it yourself. worst case get a thick pond liner for the insideif worried abotu a puncture from there, and block it off on the outside.
https://www.amazon.com/Summer-Waves...pcontext&ref_=fplfs&psc=1&smid=A33MPMNFYVPZGM
I dunno. cheapest option I found to have a pond easy. there's more expensive and fancier options

this is much more expensive a bit nicer and less "pool like" and 900 gallons, also it's movable, you could set it up in a basement even less risk of punctures.

https://www.amazon.com/BOSWELL-Aqua...ocphy=1015176&hvtargid=pla-1441978457504&th=1
i understand but if you read the rest of the thread you can tell it is going to be an inground pond. and also it is meant to look nice for my parents and be all year round

PeterFishKeepin

In ground pond will be fine for goldfish and the other stocking we have spoken about, now you need to decide where the pond will go and get a line and hen start digging.

Sauceboat

Gambusia are an option for schooling fish… they can survive a frozen over pond in my experience, although they’re quite generic and boring looking. But that being said, I do like keeping them in my ponds.

Flyfisha

As always we have to work within the laws of the country ssllittheerr. Gambusia are illegal to have in your possessions without a permit in many states of Australia certainly NSW. . It’s illegal to be caught moving them around. Even though they are now in many wild water ways in Australia.

A link to an Aussie guys channel that has lots of videos on making ponds in Australian conditions .

sslliitthheerr

As always we have to work within the laws of the country ssllittheerr. Gambusia are illegal to have in your possessions without a permit in many states of Australia certainly NSW. . It’s illegal to be caught moving them around. Even though they are now in many wild water ways in Australia.

A link to an Aussie guys channel that has lots of videos on making ponds in Australian conditions .
nah bro I live in the us I could give my fish firearms if I really wanted

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Question
  • Lebeeze
  • Ponds
Replies
Views
MySquishy
  • Potato1
  • Ponds
Replies
Views