Building a sponge filter

JimTheFishGuy

In this, I'll be using a sponge from an old AquaClear 30. Any sort of filter sponge would work, however. Even a mass of filter floss.

So, here's a sponge filter I built for a future shrimp tank...
ImageUploadedByFish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum1457308821.449581.jpg

Here's how it's made:

You'll need a filter sponge/floss, bio media, about a foot of airline tubing, a single hose connector, an air stone, and about 10 inches of 1-inch PVC pipe.

Step 1: Cut sponge.
Cut your sponge to make it roughly cylindrical. It should fit snug inside the pipe and NOT fall out, but also be removable (for cleaning). Cut off a small section from one end to block off the top of the pipe. I used a screwdriver to make a hole running the entire length of the sponge so I could insert the hose. I made a "pac man" cut in the top piece so I could just clip it around the hose.
ImageUploadedByFish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum1457309205.749479.jpg

Step 2: Set up tubing.
Attach the single hose connector to one end of the airline tubing, then feed it through the hole you made through the sponge. Attach the air stone to the other end.
ImageUploadedByFish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum1457309318.250020.jpg

Step 3: Cut pipe.
You'll need to make notches in the pipe so water can flow up through it. This filter will sit on the bottom of the tank, with the substrate holding it in place. Alternatively, you can use suction cups and rubber bands to hold it above the bottom. The notch allows water to enter from the side since the bottom will be blocked off by sand.

ImageUploadedByFish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum1457309412.783730.jpg

Step 4: Assemble.
Feed the sponge into the pipe, stopping when the end of the sponge reaches the top of the notch. Push it back in from the bottom about a half inch, depending on the size of the air stone. If the bubbles escape through the notch, it defeats the purpose of the filter. Pull on the hose to bring the air stone against the sponge. Fill the remaining space with bio media, leaving room for the smaller sponge piece.
ImageUploadedByFish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum1457309601.733305.jpg

ImageUploadedByFish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum1457309666.295104.jpg

ImageUploadedByFish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum1457309695.011763.jpg

Coradee

Interesting idea

JimTheFishGuy

Interesting idea

I've since redesigned it- moving the airstone under the ceramic pellets (on top of the big sponge). I can now put more air through it for more flow.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
TWiG87
Replies
Views
Rylan
Replies
Views
Lunas
Replies
Views