Building A Snail Trap

Discussion in 'Snails' started by SamLynn, Apr 20, 2018.

1. SamLynn

SamLynnValued MemberMember

I am wondering if anyone has any advice or ideas on building a snail trap that will catch Ramshorn snails but won't catch Kuhlis? My tank has an infestation that I'd like to get under control. The Kuhlis I have are still pretty small (only about 2 inches) so I'm worried they'd easily fit into any holes that would be big enough to catch the Ramshorns.

2. Ziggythecat

ZiggythecatValued MemberMember

How big are the rams horn

You can take a plastic water bottle and put some fish food or veggies in it and cut a vertical strip like whole in the cap so only the rams horn can go in?

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 20, 2018
  3. OP
    OP
    SamLynn

They range from a little bigger than a grain of sand to a little bigger than a pea.

4. Ziggythecat

ZiggythecatValued MemberMember

You could also cut down on reproduction by scraping eggs off of the tank or any ornaments

5. OP
    OP
    SamLynn

That's a really good idea. That way I could set it upright considering the Kuhlis don't come far off the bottom. Thanks!

Might be a bit difficult to do that. I have several plants and 2 fairly decent sized pieces of driftwood in a 46g. I think I'll try your water bottle suggestion.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 21, 2018
  6. CanadianFishFan

CanadianFishFanWell Known MemberMember

Simply plan!
    1. put a bit of washed lettuce in the tank
    2. wait for the snails to get on
    3. take it out and smush the snails (or whatever you do to get ride of them)

7. mattgirl

mattgirlFishlore VIPMember

I made my snail trap a bit different than most folks recommend. I had a tiny glass jar. I think horseradish came in it originally. I tied a long piece of fishing line around the top of it so it was easy to remove each morning.

I would stuff it with lettuce each night. By stuffing it in there it stayed in place. The top of the jar was big enough for both snails and fish to enter but easy for the fish to swim right back out. When it was time to remove it in the morning the snails would stay on the lettuce so it was easy to remove them without trapping fish.

8. OP
    OP
    SamLynn

I have a Gourami that loves lettuce. ;)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice