Building A Snail Trap

SamLynn

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I am wondering if anyone has any advice or ideas on building a snail trap that will catch Ramshorn snails but won't catch Kuhlis? My tank has an infestation that I'd like to get under control. The Kuhlis I have are still pretty small (only about 2 inches) so I'm worried they'd easily fit into any holes that would be big enough to catch the Ramshorns.

Ziggythecat

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
How big are the rams horn

You can take a plastic water bottle and put some fish food or veggies in it and cut a vertical strip like whole in the cap so only the rams horn can go in?

SamLynn

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Ziggythecat said:
How big are the rams horn
They range from a little bigger than a grain of sand to a little bigger than a pea.

Ziggythecat

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
You could also cut down on reproduction by scraping eggs off of the tank or any ornaments

SamLynn

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Ziggythecat said:
You can take a plastic water bottle and put some fish food or veggies in it and cut a vertical strip like whole in the cap so only the rams horn can go in?
That's a really good idea. That way I could set it upright considering the Kuhlis don't come far off the bottom. Thanks!

Ziggythecat said:
You could also cut down on reproduction by scraping eggs off of the tank or any ornaments
Might be a bit difficult to do that. I have several plants and 2 fairly decent sized pieces of driftwood in a 46 gallon. I think I'll try your water bottle suggestion.

CanadianFishFan

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Simply plan!
1. put a bit of washed lettuce in the tank
2. wait for the snails to get on
3. take it out and smush the snails (or whatever you do to get ride of them)

mattgirl

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I made my snail trap a bit different than most folks recommend. I had a tiny glass jar. I think horseradish came in it originally. I tied a long piece of fishing line around the top of it so it was easy to remove each morning.

I would stuff it with lettuce each night. By stuffing it in there it stayed in place. The top of the jar was big enough for both snails and fish to enter but easy for the fish to swim right back out. When it was time to remove it in the morning the snails would stay on the lettuce so it was easy to remove them without trapping fish.

SamLynn

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
CanadianFishFan said:
Simply plan!
1. put a bit of washed lettuce in the tank
2. wait for the snails to get on
3. take it out and smush the snails (or whatever you do to get ride of them)
I have a Gourami that loves lettuce.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Aquarium Photo Contests

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom