Building a Small Aquarium Stand Out of 2x2s?

Vishaquatics

Hi FishLore,

I have some spare 2x2s on hand and I may be looking to build a stand for a 10 gallon in the near future. When building aquarium stands, I normally go for something thicker like 2x4s or 2x3s, but I'd like to use the existing wood I have, if possible. Would a stand constructed of 2x2 lumber be strong enough to hold a 10 gallon aquarium? Thank you for any advice.

Chanyi

If using the same concepts as a 2x4 stand for lets say, a 4' tank or so, I don't see why 2x2's can't be used.

I use a cheap Ikea bookshelf with all the bearing weight on the dowels / set screws, and then with 2 1x4's on edge glued and nailed to the end panels, no direct load is being transferred to the ground via lumber with a 10 gallon sitting on top for several years, no issues.

Build it, sit on it and bounce up and down a few times, that will tell you if it's strong enough or not

kallililly1973

2X2’s will definitely be strong enough to hold a 10 gallon if built correctly.

ProudPapa

2X2’s will definitely be strong enough to hold a 10 gallon if built correctly.

I will agree that it will be strong enough, and I also agree with that qualifier. The weight of the tank won't crush the 2 x 2's, but the stand may collapse if it isn't constructed properly. Of course that would be true if 4 x 4's were used instead of 2 x 2's.

RayClem

The legs of many chairs are smaller than 2" x 2" and they will support the weight of a large adult, far more than the weight of a 10 gallon aquarium (a little over 100#). As long as the joints are made properly and it is braced so it won't sway laterally, you will be fine.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Sb092
Replies
Views
Austin Ron
Replies
Views
MrBryan723
Replies
Views